Quick question

Ozpkmike

When I go to the Uniden app on my computer it has this CTCSS/DCS under that it has search and all of these other options should I leave it off should I leave it on search? I am new to this scanner thing

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When I go to the Uniden app on my computer it has this CTCSS/DCS under that it has search and all of these other options should I leave it off should I leave it on search? I am new to this scanner thing

That depends on you...If you know the CTCSS/DCS or other requested PL code, and want to limit transmissions received to that particular PL, then set one. If you don't know it or want to hear any transmission on the frequency, don't set it.

GROL

The OP may not be familiar with CTCSS or DCS.

Primarily used on repeaters these days to avoid that repeater from being keyed up by interference from transmissions outside the agencies coverage area on the same frequency of by signals produced by interference of various other sources. And still used to separate agencies on the same frequency, especially when atmospheric conditions exist that produce skip or tropospheric ducting sending signals long distances.

A good example in my area is that 155.715 has been the EMS dispatch channel for decades and still is used for paging of EMS as a simulcast frequency carrying the same traffic as the dispatch on 800 MHz trunked. It is also the Fire Dispatch for Boone NC in the mountains and comes in loud and clear in Rowan County. Using different squelch tones separates the two. Now that Boone does P25 on 155.715, if you want to monitor Rowan EMS dispatch on 155.715 it really helps for not hearing the digital signal coming from Boone.

It is really helpful with scanners if you know the correct tone of the agency you monitor to keep interference from breaking the squelch.

Depending on the model of your scanner, if you set it for search, it will display the tone being used by the transmission you are receiving. You will usually find the tones for most agencies frequencies in the RR database.

Last edited: