TRX-2: Quick way to enable/disable scan sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
I have a RS Pro-197 and that's helped me come to grips with the TRX-2 logic but the RS has one thing I really miss. To do the equivalent of enabling a scan set while scanning I can simply poke the numeric keypad number corresponding to it. It's darn handy if you want to follow an officer who changes to another city net like our sheriff deputies frequently do. When I want to disable that net, I simply poke the number again and it disables it.

Is there some similar function on the TRX-2? I realize I can stop scanning and do it from the main menu, but that's a pain and I miss stuff.

TAbirdman

Do the same thing. If your firmware is updated you can turn scanlists on/off by the keypad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
Scan sets not scan lists

Do the same thing. If your firmware is updated you can turn scanlists on/off by the keypad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If I don't split my scan lists up by putting them into scan sets 1-20, that would work, but I was hoping there was a way to toggle scan sets. I split a given PD into two scan lists so I can avoid scanning the less used frequencys by putting them into an adjacent scan set. So Washington County sheriff is in scanset 1 & 2, Beaverton is in 3 & 4 and Hillsboro in 5 & 6. Frequently, a K9 officer will go to another net to work his dog and I like to listen to them work an area. To follow the action I simply poke the appropriate number.

I guess I can make it work by lumping them all into scanset 1, but then 2-20 seem kinda useless. I suppose it was intended for use in mobile situations. Rats, that's gonna be a pain to change.

troymail

Silent Key
I find that scanlists are far more flexible than scansets. They each have their purpose. I tend to stick to scanlists and don't really use scansets. Either way, it's nice to have options!

I have scanlists that contain all police districts but then also have each district in separate scanlists so if I wanted to, I can enable/disable only the districts I want to hear/scan. If I want eastern, I turn on scanlist X, if I also want to hear southern, I enable scanlist Y.

Remember, you can put each object/talkgroup, etc. into any number of different scanlists to have ultimate flexibility using the 200 available scanlists.

Note: I also proceed each scanlist name with the scanlist number ("002 Eastern PD") to make it easy to toggle things off. Of course, you have to have some memory of what is in each scanlist (or a cheat sheet) to enable them.

Keep in mind that there is also a talkgroup alpha tag search function. Of course, there are a few keystrokes required to do a search but it works well.

N8IAA

I have a RS Pro-197 and that's helped me come to grips with the TRX-2 logic but the RS has one thing I really miss. To do the equivalent of enabling a scan set while scanning I can simply poke the numeric keypad number corresponding to it. It's darn handy if you want to follow an officer who changes to another city net like our sheriff deputies frequently do. When I want to disable that net, I simply poke the number again and it disables it.

Is there some similar function on the TRX-2? I realize I can stop scanning and do it from the main menu, but that's a pain and I miss stuff.

As posted, by pressing the scan list #. Multiple scanlists can be navigated by pressing the # then the period, then another numbered scanlist, so on and so forth. Makes life easier. Surprised no one posted this feature[:confused:/SIZE]

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!

I find that scanlists are far more flexible than scansets. They each have their purpose. I tend to stick to scanlists and don't really use scansets. Either way, it's nice to have options!

I have scanlists that contain all police districts but then also have each district in separate scanlists so if I wanted to, I can enable/disable only the districts I want to hear/scan. If I want eastern, I turn on scanlist X, if I also want to hear southern, I enable scanlist Y.

Remember, you can put each object/talkgroup, etc. into any number of different scanlists to have ultimate flexibility using the 200 available scanlists.

Note: I also proceed each scanlist name with the scanlist number ("002 Eastern PD") to make it easy to toggle things off. Of course, you have to have some memory of what is in each scanlist (or a cheat sheet) to enable them.

Keep in mind that there is also a talkgroup alpha tag search function. Of course, there are a few keystrokes required to do a search but it works well.
All fixed up and working well. Many, many thanks!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Just the same as your 197, turn scanlist 2 on press 2, turn scanlist 10 on, press 1,0

I was just wondering how to do this. So to get to 2 digits like 10, you press comma(where is coma?) ?? Or did you mean a period?

As posted, by pressing the scan list #. Multiple scanlists can be navigated by pressing the # then the period, then another numbered scanlist, so on and so forth. Makes life easier. Surprised no one posted this feature

hmmm... so if I want to turn on scanlists 5 and 8, I would type: 5.8 ? But according to above, that would turn on list #58 ? ...confused... I've been only using Scansets, which works well for the most part.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I also was thinking of mentioning the need to be able to enable and disable scansets from the keyboard like what already exists with scanlists. One workaround is to sacrifice the first 20 scanlists and use them as scansets, duplicating the most common combinations, however that's definitely not ideal. I would like to see an alternate feature added that would add the ability to press, for example, Holding on Num (1-20) to enable/disable scansets.

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
I also was thinking of mentioning the need to be able to enable and disable scansets from the keyboard like what already exists with scanlists. One workaround is to sacrifice the first 20 scanlists and use them as scansets, duplicating the most common combinations, however that's definitely not ideal. I would like to see an alternate feature added that would add the ability to press, for example, Holding on Num (1-20) to enable/disable scansets.

I've just decided that I'll use the TRX-2 more or less like my RS Pro-197. I believe the scanSET feature to be more intended to be use for mobile use where for example Portland would be scanset 1 and Seattle might be 2. You populate the locale specific scanset with the appropriate scan lists so swapping would be clean and simple. Switching on/off scanlists using the panel buttons is easy and (while it's not as fast as I'd like due to the table rebuild) it's painless. I agree that swapping scan sets could be made a good bit less cumbersome.

Edit: pushing and holding the number keys will toggle the scan list on then off - and on then off...

Status
Not open for further replies.