Quincy Police/Fire Going Simulcast ?

wfasb2021

Good Day, This is my first post on this forum. I'm looking for information on Quincy Police & Fire moving to a simulcast system . I have a 436 not receiving police but fire comes in static but still can understand transmission. I live in Weymouth, Quincy is my home city and would like to monitor it when I'm home. I'm looking for an antenna that is good for simulcast system on the 436. I have a watson wswa881 and my range is set for 20 miles on scanner. Would rather not invest in a sds 100/200 since I've the 436 for 3yrs and working great for me. F.Y.I Live in a 3rd floor condo must follow condo rules. I've been looking into this and come to the conclusion that they are moving there. I could be wrong. Just looking for a quick fix for the 436 without upgrading to sds. any tips or tricks will help. thanks.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Quincy PD has moved to P25 digital. Same frequencies, but digital. Your 436 should receive it fine in Weymouth once you reprogram. Fire is still on the same analog frequencies, but either has or will be installing new hardware.

If you listen to Weymouth PD, then you should be familiar with P25 digital since that's what they use.

Information is in the database here at RR for Quincy.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
So Quincy is already using a simulcast system. They went there when the PD went digital. If you're on the third floor in Weymouth, you're likely getting LSM distortion, as you summized. And as you also know, the SDS is the really only "real" answer, however, there are tricks you can do. Remember that distortion is happening worse as you receive more. Your goal is to only receive one tower, if that is your issue.
HOWEVER, with the fact you mentioned that Fire is "coming in static" makes me concerned you're just not getting hardly any RF.
Are you near any cell sites? There are known issues with scanners and overload from the TMobile's "5G" service in the 600 MHz bands.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
And as you also know, the SDS is the really only "real" answer, however, there are tricks you can do.
Welcome to the forums wfasb2021. See link here for aforementioned "tricks" if you decide against the SDSx00 route. They may or may not work depending on your position relative to two or more simulcasting towers. Best wishes

ecps92

Exactly, as QFD 1 and 2 (Analog) come in wonderfully here in So.Weymouth
with only stock antennas and/or the UHF rubber duck on a base radio (bedroom)

QPD P25 is a slightly different story due to the LSM (GRE/RS models used)

for the OP - which part of Weymouth...might help some of us (locals - not the tourists) provide some more custom info

So Quincy is already using a simulcast system. They went there when the PD went digital. If you're on the third floor in Weymouth, you're likely getting LSM distortion, as you summized. And as you also know, the SDS is the really only "real" answer, however, there are tricks you can do. Remember that distortion is happening worse as you receive more. Your goal is to only receive one tower, if that is your issue.
HOWEVER, with the fact you mentioned that Fire is "coming in static" makes me concerned you're just not getting hardly any RF.
Are you near any cell sites? There are known issues with scanners and overload from the TMobile's "5G" service in the 600 MHz bands.

wfasb2021

thank you guys for the welcome. I have quincy working after diving into my favorites list earlier today after playing around with the menu trying different things. I will be monitor the rest of today to see how it is right now police does have a little burping in some transmission. I'm down by the high school. upon traveling to quincy yesterday I noticed some high voltage towers on braintree / weymouth line on columbian st. just thinking outside the box would that have anything to this situation. also found a small cell tower within those towers over on summer street. not new to scanners just to p25 systems. looks like a new learning curve. thank you guys for the info. If I can't figure my scanner I'll check the forums or post a topic. thanks.

ecps92

Make sure you did not accidentally attenuate that one or two frequencies.

From the area of the H.S. / Weym Engine 5 - you should have no issues with QFD, if you do, then I would begin looking into your Antenna / Coax (if not using the Stock antenna) and/or checking to make sure the connector still has it's center pin.

And I know of no new RF sites near-by, unless someone snuck in a new one, all have been around for years.
Your only likely source of interference would have been VHF from the paging out of SSH

thank you guys for the welcome. I have quincy working after diving into my favorites list earlier today after playing around with the menu trying different things. I will be monitor the rest of today to see how it is right now police does have a little burping in some transmission. I'm down by the high school. upon traveling to quincy yesterday I noticed some high voltage towers on braintree / weymouth line on columbian st. just thinking outside the box would that have anything to this situation. also found a small cell tower within those towers over on summer street. not new to scanners just to p25 systems. looks like a new learning curve. thank you guys for the info. If I can't figure my scanner I'll check the forums or post a topic. thanks.

wfasb2021

good day guys, it's been a while since my last post but just wanted to give a update my issue on recieving quincy fd. I have purchased 2 antennas A remtronix 842b and a spectrum force bnc mag mount. So I tried both antennas inside and out of my condo and the spectrum works the best being on top of my gas grill side shelf (ground plane) comes in clear as day. Inside is another issue since the bnc cord is not long enough. so I use a cake pan for a ground plane inside and I get ballpark between 50% to 75% reception so I know the issue is with my condo unit on the inside. As for the 842b it didn't work that well inside or outside on p.d or f.d that's just my opinion it works well on everything else. thanks again I really appreciate it.