R-20 verses AOR 8200mk 3 (handheld)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristisphoto

WHich do you think is better,
AOR 8200 MK 3 ?!? (handhed) or the R 20
I may eventually get both
Buut I aint rich AND the month of August is coming fast (Thank ALLAH)!!!
Hence I need to make my decision for the first one soon lol
My Current wants is now is the USB shortwave range.
The recording feature is cool
BUT does it(R20) sound Audble/good
PC playback is not possible???
WHat if you transfered to PC?
then is playback possible???
Also they have Shortwave too right???
I know it has the range but the proper mode..
Anyways,
Much love
Crista

ALso MANY thanks for ALL the help you all have given me..
it IS appreciated...

mancow

Database Admin
It's possible to play back R20 audio on the pc. Go check out the yahoo group for the R20. There is a simple program that converts it from the proprietary format to a .wav file. The sound is excellent in the fine recording mode.

cristisphoto

Cool!!!

mancow said:
It's possible to play back R20 audio on the pc. Go check out the yahoo group for the R20. There is a simple program that converts it from the proprietary format to a .wav file. The sound is excellent in the fine recording mode.

Cool thanks,
MAncow!!!

Crista

Turbo68

Hello,all Ican say that the AOR-MK3 and the ICOM-R20 are good hand held radios and I got both off them and I cant say that one is better than the other because I enjoy using both off them.

Regards Lino.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I have an R-20 and it does exactly what I purchased it to do. I have no experience with the AR radio. I used to own an Alinco DJ-10X and it's performance was nothing close to the R-20.

mancow

Database Admin
The R20 is a bit odd to get used to in the way it scans and the button sequences etc...

As for the performance, it's excellent. It reminds me of a product made by Motorola or one of the other commercial grade companies. The case is rock solid. There are no odd sequels, howls, pops between freq. steps, or scratchyness in the volume control. It's just plain solid. The HF is the best I have ever heard in a handheld.

It's no problem to sit and listen to several conversations in the 80 meter ham band using just the supplied telescopic antenna.

The recording can be set to operate in squelch activated mode too. That is the neatest feature. It's just like the PC program Scanrec. It cuts out all the dead spaces automatically.

It's a good enough receiver that we use it at work for an undercover body wire receiver. Once the audio is recorded you simply download it and convert it to a wav, put it on a cd, and drop it in evidence. It works great and takes the place of a huge box with a Marantz receiver.

The battery life is freakin AMAZING. It will literally run for 48 hours without a charge using the supplied Lithum Ion pack. You will start to wonder if it has a small reactor in there.

I can speak for the AOR. I never owned one. But the R20 has impressed me.

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

I own an AOR 8200 and iCOM IC-R20 and IMHO, the R20 is the best bang for the buck. While the 8200 and R20 are complex, the R20 is easier to use. The R20 has features out of the box that are extra for the 8200.

iCOM still can't get blocking of the cellular band correct on US versions. They seem to trim off too much, but it is not an issue. As previously mentioned, the LiOn battery lasts forever it seems, and charge time is 8 hours, or 2.5 hours with drop-in charger.

The iCOM IC-R20 Yahoo!Group also has some software options for programming the unit.

I am quite pleased with the unit. Just wish I had more time to use it. :(

Dave AKA The Tripzter

cristisphoto

73's alll thanks...

WOW
Thanks All for the advice and subsequent help...
guess I'm going to have to get me a coin to toss lol
Anyways YEah I may eventually
ALLAH willing
get both..

SO
Thanks VERY MUCH
73's

Crista

Thayne

I don't know if allah had anyhing to do with it, but I did count to 10; :p and it was a good

thing----

Thayne

Don't worry Crista, it doesn't matter what I was thinking---Kinda like reading "Prarie Home Companion" or something

cristisphoto

Lol

LOL
Hey REligion I avoid But I am VERY Spiritual.....
IF it wasn't wasn't for my faih in ALLAH, Yaweh whatever you call him,
I sure in the hel lol l wouldn't be on this forum chillin lol
Warm regards;)
Crista

Status
Not open for further replies.