R.S. Pro-163 base/mobile scanner, users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakemcgraw

I just purchased a PRO-163 base scanner from radio shack on the 14th of this month,,so far its been receiving very well for me, i monitor mostly from 46-463.000 mhz conventional freq's, I don't notice alot of intermod, and im in a pretty RF populated area here in Carlisle, PA. So far i've only used the included telescopic antenna..I owned 2 Pro-2055's for almost 2 yrs. with no display issues and they were good performers, Hope this model doesn't inheret any of the display problems..Overall i think its a very good unit, with a decent amount of features. I like it even more than a uniden bct-15 i owned awhile back, receives better for me . Any one else having good experiences with the Pro-163 ??

Last edited:

N8IAA

I have mine running now. I monitor my county FD and PD (until they go digital), then I'll be using my 96. Also, monitor local dnr and corps of engineers, milair, and a variety of other conventional systems. Love the audio and the fact that it is a base. Used to use my 97 for that, now it goes mobile more often. Got the 163 to replace my 895, but use both. I am using an external antenna that is a ham dualband 2m/440mhz. It performs like I knew it would. The antenna sits on a 4 drawer metal file cabinet. Don't monitor any 40mhz as most county and state stuff is 800mhz trunked. I just wish that they had made the display larger.
Larry

Ryry4217101

Pro 163 Scanner Antenna

I have a RS Pro-163 scanner its a great scanner but i want a better antenna anyone know if discones work for this scanner or anyonw know what a good antenna would be for this unit.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have a RS Pro-163 scanner its a great scanner but i want a better antenna anyone know if discones work for this scanner or anyonw know what a good antenna would be for this unit.

Discones are fine for this and many other scanners. Be sure to pick an antenna designed for the frequencies you want to pick up,

Cyberider

Got mine a couple of weeks ago on the RS Black Friday Sale and am quite pleased with it. I use it to receive analog traffic so as not to tie up the digital receiver with it. I enjoy listening to it more than the digital because the analog audio is so much more pleasant to listen to. Been listening on frequencies between 50 and 930 MHz with the built-in antenna with good results so it is quite sensitive. I just got back into scanning after several decades away and the new radios are certainly most impressive in every way.

sgoss302

Premium Subscriber
I have been using mine for about three weeks. Love it. I have been taken it with me in the car when I go to work. I have gone to walmart and picked up a cheap CB antenea and it really improved the signal and reach. The only problem that I have is now I want a digital one. :D. I live in a county that is mostly analog but travel to a county that is mostly digital. The screen has been fine. The setup was a breeze.

JamesPrine

Pro-163

I have a stack of receivers...a PRO-433, two PRO-163s, and the bottom is a PRO-197. I use the 197 for digital only and the others are dedicated to amateur, aviation, marine, and VHF and UHF law enforcement, fire, and EMs, with some 800 MHz trunking services as well.

The PRO-163 units are solid, reliable performers with wonderful audio and they are excellent for mobile use.

I enjoy programming my receivers with computer software.

I just got a PRO-106 that is also a wonder.

On all these, I use stock antennas, which work well enough for me to monitor New Orleans Police and also Baton Rouge Police from my home with the 106 and 197.

Not a biggy, this area is like a pancake.

Status
Not open for further replies.