I have always been a big fan of Icom gear, I have owned these in the past:
R2
R5
R6
RX7
R20
R75
R8500

As a spot monitor and scanning / searching a small range of frequencies, how does the R10 compare? I DONT need trunking or any digital modes.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks but I don't need digital modes where I am and the R10 is a 1/8th of the price...

The R10 is a nice, well-made radio with wide-range frequency coverage, but it's super slow as a scanner and doesn't have programmable squelch tones.

N5XPM

I have one and use it occasionally. Picks up analog great with no CTCSS options and keyboard frequency entry is nice. It is more of a very nice communications receiver, but I don't use it for scanning at all. I also have an R2 and am shopping for an R30 as a worthy successor.

N8IAA

Thanks but I don't need digital modes where I am and the R10 is a 1/8th of the price...

Paul, if you're getting it for a great price, go for it. Make sure the screen works, and you get some of the accessories. I had an Alinco DJ-X10 in the late 90's, similar to the R-10. Used to use it for VHF/UHF milair. Outstanding receiver.
PM me

Ubbe

The R10 have a very erratic carrier squelch and machine gun effect as it can't decide if it should open or close. There's absolutly no hysteres. It has the exact same value when open as when to close.

The receiver overloads extreamly easy and using any external antenna without any some sort of attenuation will kill reception. It has very good sensitivity when testing directly with a signal generator but live monitoring requires a low signal enviroment.

/Ubbe

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
R6 is here now and working well.

I think you’ll be happy with the R6. It looks works much better as a scanner than does the R10. The R6 does a reasonable job as a HF communications receiver with the right antennas, but it’s very sensitive and it’s filters are a little too wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.