R2 deaf on VHF-Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_wilkes

My R2 is suddenly deaf on all VHF-Hi freqs, including 118-136MHz Air band. UHF, FM Broadcast, and SW reception is normal. I did a hard reset to clear all memories, but it didn't help. A different antenna showed the same results. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thank you,
Albert in NC

nanZor

Are there any new FM broadcasters in town / or have relocated their transmitters near you? It is possible that a very strong FM broadcaster is desensing the front end, making VHF airband appear to be deaf.

You could test for this by rolling through the FM broadcast band with the attenuator on, and even without an antenna, and see if you get any smoking hot FM broadcast signal strengths. If so, you may want to opt for an external filter like a Par Electronics or AOR airband passband filter.

fineshot1

Are there any new FM broadcasters in town / or have relocated their transmitters near you? It is possible that a very strong FM broadcaster is desensing the front end, making VHF airband appear to be deaf.

You could test for this by rolling through the FM broadcast band with the attenuator on, and even without an antenna, and see if you get any smoking hot FM broadcast signal strengths. If so, you may want to opt for an external filter like a Par Electronics or AOR airband passband filter.

or

It could also be a new to your area vhf-hi band paging transmitter(or similar) that is causing
receiver front end overload(desensing your receiver).

Same suggestion as hertzian except via the 148-174Mhz band.

SCPD

QRT
The original 706's were bad for that and as I recall it was a filter in the front-end that went bad. I don't know whether it may be a similar issue with the R2 or not though.

al_wilkes

My hunch is what you suggested, which is a filter went bad. This R2 has set in a bathroom for years, and maybe the higher humidity eventually affected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.