R20 questions on PC-interface, audio playback, and linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sph3r3

Hi, I'm new and I tried and failed to find my ICOM R20 questions on the wiki--

1. What precisely is the PC-to-Radio USB cable OPC1382 for? Is it just the ability to control one's radio from one's computer? And I'm still confused as to precisely which cables are required. There are things listed as a CT-17 and interfaces labelled "CI-V" look a little more complex than the simple USB cable labelled "OPC1382"

I ask because...

2. I'm wondering whether audio files can be transferred from the internal digital recorder to a computer for playback? I know that the ICOM website says "PC playback not possible" but... really? Why would page 80 of the manual say "Also available to transfer recorded audio and store into PC" if it wasn't meant to be played back? Does anyone know what filetype the audio is stored with on the ICOM?

Note--

3. I use Linux (Ubuntu 10.04). Anyone else use Linux? Ubuntu seems to allow for the use of a CI-V interface... jus' checking if there are any problems...

Thanks very much in advance!

nanZor

The OPC1382 is the cable that mates with the software to program your radio or transfer the audio files.

From what I understand, the audio file format is proprietary, and can only be played back on an R20. So, I guess you could store them on the pc, or email it to a friend, but they would also have to transfer the audio file into the R20 to hear it!

The CI-V and CT-17 are needed for remote-control of the R20. This can be via a pc, or even another Icom radio using the CT-17 as a hub. In other words, you could turn the VFO on your R75, and make it tune the R20 or visca versca. Icom does not make the software for remote control, but there are a few sites on the net with pc/apple/linux software for this.

Maybe someone else can provide more details, as I have never used software for programming or remote control of the R20.

sph3r3

Cool, thanks. It's puzzling about the audio playback - that's what I'm most interested in, just saving stuff and playing it back for later. I don't see what ICOM would have lost by picking a regular audio format. Oh well. Thx for the info.

SCPD

QRT
The USB cable is for programming and copying audio files to your PC, I don't know if software exists for Linux that will let you do that. You can get PC software that will convert the R20 audio files (which won't play back on a PC) to WAV forwat so you can listen to them on a PC. If you look at the R20 Yahoo group you can find this.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Audio files can be transferred using the USB jack only. It is a proprietary format but there seems to be software to convert the files.
Another way is to connect the speaker out to a soundcard Line in, play back the files on the R20 and use recorder software on the PC.

Gommert
Butel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.