R2500 P25 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I just acquired on of these at a flea market in NH. I wasn't looking for one, but couldn't pass it up. Guy bought it new, used it for a few years in his RV, and was selling the RV. He only wanted $125 for it. I couldn't get the cash out fast enough. As I was walking away, he calls to me and says that it has the UT-122 P25 digital unit in it.

I have only one statewide agency that uses P25, New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG), that I'm interested in listening to. I put in one of the local control channels & it does hear them. Do I need to put nac and wacn parameters in the R2500? P25 reception was just ok, but I was using the Icom supplied antenna.

I think if I load all of their control channels into the R2500, I should be able to hear them whenever I'm in their service area. Can P25 and analog channels be loaded into the same bank?

Anyone else using a R2500 to monitor NYSEG? How is yours set up? Any hints or tips much appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob
N2OAM

VE6BRW

I have been using on for quite a few years... have picked up corrections Canada in a town South of me. Problem I have is that when I hooked it up to the laptop it worked fine with XP and Windows 7 but now I am using Windows 8.1 and it won't recognize it at all so I can't even load the program...very frustrating as I really utilize the Laptop heavily.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Do I need to put nac and wacn parameters in the R2500?
No, the radio doesn't support trunking. I haven't tried setting a NAC for a trunked P25 voice channel before but hopefully the radio isn't that picky since P25 trunked and conventional voice is slightly different in structure; who knows how the ICOM analyzes it. Otherwise there's no reason to set a NAC unless you have co-channel.

I think if I load all of their control channels into the R2500, I should be able to hear them whenever I'm in their service area. Can P25 and analog channels be loaded into the same bank?
You can mix and match you just can't listen to P25 with the second receiver.

Why are you adding the control channels? Just to see if you receive them? They won't do anything else for you.

I own two and it's one of the best receivers for its price and capabilities out there.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned by Xshark use trunk-pcr to decode the control channel.
since the 2500 secondary receiver is more limited than the primary I recommend you use the secondary to monitor the control channel.

You will need to connect the data of the Icom to a computer line-in and point trunk-pcr to the use the sound card for control channel decoding.

as for the primary use the Icom usb sound card, when you program the member frequency make sure to select p25 mode.

The other way to do this is you program all member channel in the memory bank and let the Icom scan it. you will ear stuff ok but conversation will not be followed when they change channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.