R30 and DSTAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I am planning on buying a mobile transceiver and it will either be the Kenwood TM-D710G or the Icom ID-5100A depending on DSTAR activity.

I am trying to find out if there is DSTAR activity in my area.. I have entered the DSTAR repeater frequencies and set the DSTAR mode in my R30 but i just can't ear anything not even noise, I using the stock antenna. A few of those repeaters are also analog repeaters on 2 meter or 70 cm and i can ear them on analog transmission on FM also with the stock antenna. Am i missing something or doing something wrong ?

Any help or tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Hit_Factor

Look here for repeater lists, verify there is one (or more) in your area . Home - D-STAR Info

You won't hear noise for a digital signal.

Contact the local amateur radio club, they will verify which repeaters are working in the area.

Here is an example of how three repeaters are programmed on my R-30.

This probably isn't an antenna issue, probably lack of use of the repeater or programming problem.

Consider picking up a DVMega hot spot (lot's of hotspots to choose from), that would bring in reflectors from around the world.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Hit_Factor,

I do have the repeater list for my area. The frequencies are programmed as shown on your screenshot. Unless there are other configuration to be done on the RR30 i have to assume that they are just not being used.. The 2 repeaters below a very close to me.

443.55000 448.55000 5.00 MHz +DUP D-STAR VE2YUU Blainville
448.62500 443.62500 5.00 MHz -DUP D-STAR VA2RMP Montreal

The DVMega looks like a piece of harware with some software to be used with a PC. I have already purchase a RSPplay DUO that i should get soon, would that work ?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The RSPduo can receive the frequencies, but additional steps needed to pipe the recovered audio to another running piece of software to do what your R30 can already do. Hot spots have internal software, but access to the internet via a router is needed. PC is used to configure the hot spot by the webpage of the hot spot's ip address. (typical 192.168.1.XXX) Most hot spot require you to use a radio of the same protocol like your interest in ID-5100. HT like the ID-31 or 51 would be better choice for hot spot use. It looks like the two repeater you referenced have not had any traffic in the last 14 days. That might only mean they are on the air, but not used. It is easy to access distant reflector if the trustees of the repeater allow for that. Proper etiquette is to disconnect from distant reflector when done. More information can be found on the repeaters webpages. I don't look, but likely contact information is on the webpage to ask question from the trustee or club member.
Good Luck!

VA2RMP.pngVE2YUU.png

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thank you KE5MC,

Just got a membership in a D-STAR radio club in my area. In the mean i'll keep monitoring those repeaters for activity. As i was writing this, i just received my SDRplay DUO, i will install their software and DSD+ over the weekend and see how it goes. I will eventually have to look into this hotspot thing.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I use a paid version of a virtual audio cable. There are free ones available to get the audio from duo to dsd+. If you go with DStar at some point you will need to register your callsign so that routing over the internet will work. They now have a centralized registration which is not by repeater which it was when I got mine registered. I looked for a link, but I think the link to Home D-Star Info in the 2nd post will get you there.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks KE5MC,

I've already asked to register my callsign, There will be a net tomorrow at 10:00 so i will see if i can tune in with the R30. I've been playing a bit with the SDRplay this afternoon, for now i'm just using a long wire antenna but so far i can see that it works. Need to learn how to use their software but it looks promising.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I use a paid version of a virtual audio cable. There are free ones available to get the audio from duo to dsd+. If you go with DStar at some point you will need to register your callsign so that routing over the internet will work. They now have a centralized registration which is not by repeater which it was when I got mine registered. I looked for a link, but I think the link to Home D-Star Info in the 2nd post will get you there.

Thanks K5MC,

Just installed the DSD+ software but i just don't get how to make it work with SDRduo. Is the virtual audio cable necessary ? what cable are you using ?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'm using my paid for version of virtual audio cable, there are free versions. The screen clip has my VAC selected so the audio is ready to pipe to another program (DSD+). Normally you would have your computer speaker selected. On the DSD+ side I would select the VAC as input. DSD+ can be a challenge to get working well. I can get DSD+ to work and don't use FMP which as I read threads in software decoding forums is the preferred choice if you are really serious about using it. I'm not... just something to play with. In the early days of DSD I seem to recall that only the data part of the DStar 'data stream' could be decoded, but not the voice part. That may have changed. Read thru the details of the included DSD+ files to start. One of the DSD+ windows is an audio display, like an oscilloscope without the amplitude and time markers. Once you see the line wiggle in concert with audio you have input to DSD+.
Good Luck!

VAC_Select.png

jbm32

When I first tried Dstar on my R30 I couldn't hear anything either.
I found out I had to turn D SQL to OFF using the QUICK menu.
Re-save that memory and if the repeater is in use, you should now hear it.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
When I first tried Dstar on my R30 I couldn't hear anything either.
I found out I had to turn D SQL to OFF using the QUICK menu.
Re-save that memory and if the repeater is in use, you should now hear it.

In my case i started receiving d-star after adjusting RF Gain to max. By default RF Gain 1 is selected when programming frequencies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I'm using my paid for version of virtual audio cable, there are free versions. The screen clip has my VAC selected so the audio is ready to pipe to another program (DSD+). Normally you would have your computer speaker selected. On the DSD+ side I would select the VAC as input. DSD+ can be a challenge to get working well. I can get DSD+ to work and don't use FMP which as I read threads in software decoding forums is the preferred choice if you are really serious about using it. I'm not... just something to play with. In the early days of DSD I seem to recall that only the data part of the DStar 'data stream' could be decoded, but not the voice part. That may have changed. Read thru the details of the included DSD+ files to start. One of the DSD+ windows is an audio display, like an oscilloscope without the amplitude and time markers. Once you see the line wiggle in concert with audio you have input to DSD+.
Good Luck!

View attachment 88497

Thanks, i will try the virtual audio cable. I suppose that the computer speaker can be used as the DSP+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.