R30 R30 - In 2020, what do you listen to the most with it?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
While I use iOS daily, I have android devices as well that I specifically use for radio stuff, like the R30. The removal of the Android version is not good.

@KevinC - One can pair the R30 with a Bluetooth speaker as well.
1671027769839.jpeg

Last edited:

G7RUX

While I use iOS daily, I have android devices as well that I specifically use for radio stuff, like the R30. The removal of the Android version is not good.
You can still download it from Icom at the very least and sideload it for the time being.

N4SRN

Premium Subscriber
I’m using my R30 to scan for local GMRS repeaters - there are several that don’t appear on MyGMRS that I’ll want to,avoid in setting up,a local group repeater.

philnic100

Use my R30 for VHF/UHF Aero as well as Aero HF; got a 50 ohm Hi-Z interface connector from Amazon Japan after a Google search and it transformed the stock aerial. Compared to another well regarded active BNC antenna it has, for sensitivity, has been consistently the better. Regularly take it out mobile and regularly hear traffic over Indian Ocean, Polar traffic, as well as Manila radio. Always end up recording stuff, its that good and the freq/date tagging makes playback easy.

philnic100

I agree with the comment on the app; it takes the channel navigation to another level without having to enter menus etc to transit between channels in different banks.

N4SRN

Premium Subscriber
Use my R30 for VHF/UHF Aero as well as Aero HF; got a 50 ohm Hi-Z interface connector from Amazon Japan after a Google search and it transformed the stock aerial. Compared to another well regarded active BNC antenna it has, for sensitivity, has been consistently the better. Regularly take it out mobile and regularly hear traffic over Indian Ocean, Polar traffic, as well as Manila radio. Always end up recording stuff, its that good and the freq/date tagging makes playback easy.
Can you post a link? Sounds interesting!

Bret/N4SRN

G7RUX

If I remember correctly, Icom uses their own version of NXDN on the commercial side. It's called IDAS. I think those initials stand for Icom Digital Advanced System, but I'm not certain.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)
Indeed, Icom's IDAS *is* NXDN with a few extras in the optional signalling. It is backwardly compatible with other NXDN systems since it complies with the published standards.

W8WCA

Just FYI: The Icom RS-R30A App is on the Google Play (still)

I am gathering up info as I have a R30 coming early next week.
I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max and a Galaxy Note 10 Plus

(I tend to use the Note 10 + More for my Radis as It also has SDRAnywhere)

G7RUX

Indeed. The apps (I use the iOS versions) can be a bit fiddly to get them working but are pretty good once going.