R30 R30 - In 2020, what do you listen to the most with it?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I see the options now. I didn't realize the Quick menu was context-sensitive depending on the mode.
I had that same problem!
The R30 portable has the same issue where the Quick menu can be different when you use it. I guess it's also dependent on the mode when you use it.

I was referencing the 8600 in my last post but I did mean the R30.
Thankfully they both share the same features!

The R30 also frustrated me one evening.
I was listening to headphone audio in WFM mode on 912.500 MHz.
All of a sudden, my audio was gone but I still saw signal. After messing around with the radio thinking something had broke, I realized I'd somehow hit the key to switch it from VFO 1 to VFO 2! VFO 2 does not support all the modes that VFO does. Or is it the frequency range that is different? I don't remember until I look at the radio again but I think it's the mode that VFO 2 does not cover all the modes that VFO 1 does.
Being as the R30 shares the same memories and memory banks between VFO 1 and 2, it's easy to switch over to VFO 2 and not notice you are not receiving some things. The radio should be capable of giving you some kind of warning when you switch to VFO 2 from 1 with a mode that is not supported. Oh well, I did get used to that small quirk!

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Ha, the same thing happened to me. I unknowingly switched to the B band and then tried to scan a bank with freqs that weren't covered. It wouldn't scan and I think the memory channel appeared as if it wasn't programmed at all. Fortunately I figured it out pretty quick, and that was when I was getting used to the radio. Now it's not a problem.

I would bet additional warnings to ensure a freq / mode could be used in the right band would sacrifice performance during scanning (not that it's likely they'd ever do that anyway). I could see some warning during non-scan (manual) operation, though.

But hey, I like the radio as-is. It's been a long time since I've been this attached to any handheld. Probably the last time is when I bought my G4 and was blown away by the P25 decode (which, incidentally, the R30 does just as well).

palmerjrusa

I was monitoring the military airbands yesterday evening with my IC-R30, indoors, with its stock antenna, and there was plenty of activity.
Just out of interest had a couple of other handhelds (Yaesu and Kenwood) operating and programmed on the same frequencies and the squelch never opened once.
Very happy with the performance of my IC-R30.

eorange

I always do that too - when activity is hot I benchmark my other handhelds that I know are questionable on mil air. My VX-3R has great VHF airband Rx, but it's totally deaf on UHF airband, especially aerial refueling here on 274.450. Wide open squelch on AR strong signals results in absolutely nothing. But when the POTUS CAP was here recently, there was lots of activity in the mid 300 MHz range. Lo and behold, the VX-3R blasted through like a champ, which was quite a surprise. Still not reliable enough for general mil air, but I learned more about its band sensitivity.

palmerjrusa

The VX-3R is a great little handheld, also own its older siblings, the VX-2R and VX-1R, 'cause, well, I can never bear to part with equipment I've had lots of fun with.
I think I'll do a similar comparison this evening; IC-R30 vs. IC-R2/5/6, bet those little radios give their younger sibling a run for its money!

eorange

I have a R6 and I love everything about it. It's my primary mil air handheld...well, the R-30 is vying for that spot. I think you'll find the R6 - R30 near equal to each other for mil air.

See this about my VX-1R purchase loop. If I could've found the AA battery holder again - which I had but then sold the first time around - I might've kept it.

palmerjrusa

I have a R6 and I love everything about it. It's my primary mil air handheld...well, the R-30 is vying for that spot. I think you'll find the R6 - R30 near equal to each other for mil air.

See this about my VX-1R purchase loop. If I could've found the AA battery holder again - which I had but then sold the first time around - I might've kept it.

Yep, the IC-R2/5/6 range are amazing little receivers, they pack a performance level way beyond their price class.
My story with the VX1R-AA battery holder:
I wanted one long after the VX-1R was out of production and couldn't find a retailer with one in stock.
Placed an ad at eham.net to see if anyone had one for sale, not holding out much hope. Immediately got a response from a seller and snapped it up!

palmerjrusa

Wow, you got lucky! You probably bought mine which I had sold to someone else. :D

That did actually occur to me😅

Did you include a spare VX-1R antenna plus three spare VX-1R Li-ion batteries in the sale at no extra cost?
If you did, then you're likely the "guilty" party😁

eorange

I did include an extra antenna...! But not the other stuff. You almost had me going there, wow.

Back to the R30 - here's my first NXDN catch with the R30, DX'd from Canada.

racingfan360

I think there are 32,768 or 65,536 keys available to chose from for NXDN. Not sure about dPMR mode.
I'm not certain it's really considered a form of encryption though.
For another portable model I can't recall, the code needed on the 8600 was off by 1 from what was used in the unknown portables TX settings.
Hi dPMR and NXDN use the same basic method of XOR scrambling, 15-bit , so 32,767 keys are possible. I think in theory you could brute force it, but you'd be at it a while especially given the R30's relatively limited memory capacity (relative to other SD card based digital scanners that is). If the Fast Unmute function in the R30 actually worked (it doesn't) then it might be possible to brute force much quicker.

I'd be interested to know if you have any clues as to which other portable it might have been that gave you the 'off by 1' decode on the R30. Was it an old Icom with an older firmware maybe?

palmerjrusa

I did include an extra antenna...! But not the other stuff. You almost had me going there, wow.

Back to the R30 - here's my first NXDN catch with the R30, DX'd from Canada.

That was an interesting catch from our friendly northern neighbors!!*

I'm pretty sure I've never actually received an NXDN transmission!!

*thanks for sending us Joni Mitchell

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I would bet additional warnings to ensure a freq / mode could be used in the right band would sacrifice performance during scanning (not that it's likely they'd ever do that anyway). I could see some warning during non-scan (manual) operation, though.

Yep, I'd not really given much thought about how some kind of warning would work when switching to VFO B and when the contents of memory contain incompatible modes. I was thinking more of a one time warning of some type but I have no idea how that would have worked!
I practice your method and just get used to watching out for it! These little quirks grow on ya pretty fast.

The R30 is a fantastic little portable.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'd be interested to know if you have any clues as to which other portable it might have been that gave you the 'off by 1' decode on the R30. Was it an old Icom with an older firmware maybe?
I talked with my buddy last night. He'd brought the NXDN portable here not long ago. He does not have it with him right now but did tell me it's a Kenwood model! I'd have sworn it was an Icom portable.
He works for Union Pacific somewhere in Iowa and told me he was given the portable back when they were still evaluating digital for communications around the area he worked. He said the radio they carry today is still Kenwood but is much newer than the one he brought here. The one he brought here allowed him to do things from the front panel unlike the one they carry today which is pretty locked down so he said.
We were able to play with that privacy code for example on the radio he had when he came here but he said the one he carries has all that stuff locked out or hidden.
He said he'd get the model number from the one he brought here but I doubt he will know anything about the firmware unless it displays it at power up.

I have a feeling the radio he brought here was a generic Kenwood model while the newer one they are carrying today is probably a railroad specific model as far as features and what the operator can all change on the radio.

I don't remember if it's Icom or Kenwood that supposedly has Railroad specific firmware. Maybe both do.

racingfan360

He said he'd get the model number from the one he brought here
Many thanks kruser, sure appreciate the details. I've tested my R30 with several Kenwoods and all have matched up on the encryption key in use. I know there were some KeyID mismatches (but not Key value) issues between old Icoms running different CAI versions.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Just returned from a trip to Duluth MN and am happy to report the R30 performed flawlessly in receiving the VHF marine channels. Really enjoyed sitting on the park benches by the lift bridge pier and listening to the Coast Guard and the many large and small vessels that passed through the lift bridge into the harbor. Heard lots of in harbor traffic clear as a bell with the R30. Programed the Duluth simulcast frequencies Duluth Simulcast and it also performed flawlessly when running it in the hotel next to my SDS100. Scanned Short Wave and civ air/mil air bands and heard lots of stuff on those bands next to the lake front. Loving this unit more and more each day.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
It is a sweet receiver. Did better than my 436 I sold. Always taking my R30 camping. Duluth has allot to listen to. As much as enjoy using it hooked up to my outdoor discone, needed a little more radio so ordered the IC 705 for home use.