R30 Memory Scan: Problem Losing Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

footage

Premium Subscriber
I have a number of scan lists programmed into my R30 memories. Each frequency in each scan list is programmed for a specific mode and bandwidth. According to the manual, memory scans should scan each channel according to the mode and bandwidth programmed. This doesn't seem to happen. For example, I have a P25 conventional scanlist that defaults to the DCR mode when I select it. If I switch mode to P25 and restart the scan, it plays one channel in P25 mode and then switches to some other mode. Regular FM and FM-N scan lists also sometimes play back in P25. I've got similar problems with mixed-mode scanlists -- they often initiate in DCR or a mode that isn't contained in the scan list. My scan lists frequently execute in bandwidths not set in the individual memories as well.

At first I thought I had to set mode before scanning, but that doesn't work reliably either. I am aware of the ALL and MODE scan settings and am not using those.

Anyone know how to force scan lists to follow the programming for individual channels? Thanks.

footage

Premium Subscriber
Happy to! Would appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• R30_20200731.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 35

Hit_Factor

Have you updated the firmware to 1.1?

I glanced through the file, but on my phone, so nothing really jumps out. Maybe use groups, and put a single P25 system in a group. Then use bank link to scan groups. This isn't the problem, but turning on and off groups will help weed out the problem.

Step isn't bandwidth, its how close freqs could be. The system manager and the licensed freqs keep bandwidth from overlapping. Google it up for a much better explanation. This isn't the problem.

Let's get specific, what scan group shows the problem?

footage

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for looking. It is running 1.1. I only scan a single group at a time. The problem occurs in all 700 and 800 MHz groups and in the first group, which contains AM, FM and P25 freqs.

In case you're thinking I am trying to scan 700/800 in the B band, I'm not. Only using A band for now.

For those just seeing this, the problem is this: When scanning a memory bank, the scanner jumps out of the mode programmed into the memory channels and into something else. When I hit 3/MODE to change mode I see the scanner is in DCR, a Japanese digital mode not used here in the States.

Hit_Factor

Thanks for looking. It is running 1.1. I only scan a single group at a time. The problem occurs in all 700 and 800 MHz groups and in the first group, which contains AM, FM and P25 freqs.

In case you're thinking I am trying to scan 700/800 in the B band, I'm not. Only using A band for now.

For those just seeing this, the problem is this: When scanning a memory bank, the scanner jumps out of the mode programmed into the memory channels and into something else. When I hit 3/MODE to change mode I see the scanner is in DCR, a Japanese digital mode not used here in the States.
When you turn the knob, from channel to channel is the correct mode displayed?

Is it possible when you hit mode its being changed from P25 to DCR. In other words it was in the correct mode, hit the button and it's not.

Why do you use the mode button with a scan lists?

footage

Premium Subscriber
The correct mode doesn't always display when I manually change channels. What's happening is that when I call up a scan list the radio starts to scan in a wrong mode not programmed into the channel entries. That's the only reason I ever change mode when scanning memories.

To be clear, my question is: why doesn't the scanner go into the mode programmed into each channel?

When you turn the knob, from channel to channel is the correct mode displayed?

Is it possible when you hit mode its being changed from P25 to DCR. In other words it was in the correct mode, hit the button and it's not.

Why do you use the mode button with a scan lists?

Hit_Factor

I can't answer your question, this isn't normal behaviour.

I think it's time to save your programming.

then [MENU] > Others > Reset > All Reset.

If that doesn't work, it may be time to call Icom.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
What software are you using? I had some issues when I first got the IC-R30 but have little problem using the RT package. The PDF you posted is not readable by any of the software so no one can open it as a file to see what it looks like as a radio file or try it..

footage

Premium Subscriber
I'm using RT. Sorry about the PDF. It opens fine for me, and RR won't let me post an .XLS dump.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I can't reproduce this.

I have a bank programmed with mixed AM and USB modes, also using RT. When I scan that bank (which in and of itself is kind of amazing), the modes stay intact. When I stop scanning and turn the knob, the modes are still correct.

In memory mode, while not scanning, I can temporarily change the mode by pressing the MODE key. But the mode returns to its programmed value when I turn the knob away from, and back to, that channel.

Hit_Factor

I'm using RT. Sorry about the PDF. It opens fine for me, and RR won't let me post an .XLS dump.
Simply change the extension to txt and tell us what to change it back to. I can read a RT Systems file.

Or use the export built into the R-30, those are CSV files. Those may be posted here without modification.

Hit_Factor

I can't reproduce this.

I have a bank programmed with mixed AM and USB modes, also using RT. When I scan that bank (which in and of itself is kind of amazing), the modes stay intact. When I stop scanning and turn the knob, the modes are still correct.

In memory mode, while not scanning, I can temporarily change the mode by pressing the MODE key. But the mode returns to its programmed value when I turn the knob away from, and back to, that channel.
I have similarly complex groups with P25, FMN, USB DSTAR, never a problem.

footage

Premium Subscriber
Still an issue after full reset and reload. In short, when I scan a memory group the scanner won't take the mode from the individual channels as it should. I'm now wondering if the RT Systems software introduces some kind of bug. Here's my "codeplug". It's a CSV file sent as .txt because RR rejects CSV files, saying "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

A call to Icom yielded the suggestion that I reset, and that something might be wrong with RT. I'll call RT today.

Attachments

• R30_20200731.txt
    27.6 KB · Views: 11

Hit_Factor

We need an exported file from your R30.

Using the microSD card in your R30.

Menu, SD Card, Import/Export, Export, Memory CH, ALL, (then pick a name)

I have attached one from my R30 as an example. Rename by removing .txt (so excel will open it) from the end, or leave as is. You'll see far more information than you have been providing. Also tell us what group number is having the problem.

Attachments

• Memory Channels.csv.txt
    149.2 KB · Views: 15

footage

Premium Subscriber
We need an exported file from your R30.

Using the microSD card in your R30.

Menu, SD Card, Import/Export, Export, Memory CH, ALL, (then pick a name)

I have attached one from my R30 as an example. Rename by removing .txt (so excel will open it) from the end, or leave as is. You'll see far more information than you have been providing. Also tell us what group number is having the problem.

Thank you. I'll make this tonight, but if you don't mind, I'm going to wait overnight to send it, because I sent a similar export file to RT Systems, and they told me: "Good news. We have been able to duplicate the issue using your file. We will know more tomorrow."

So I think there may be an issue with RT Systems. More soon, and I'm very grateful for your help on this. Great file, BTW -- gave me a few ideas.

Hit_Factor

Interesting. I use RT Systems because I can copy and paste from one radio programmer to another. But I also use the Icom software.

Please post the file, I'd like to see if I could spot the problem.

footage

Premium Subscriber
Here's my file. It's a .csv masquerading as a .txt. Thanks for looking at it.

Attachments

• Mch20200807_01.txt
    44.8 KB · Views: 11

Hit_Factor

Every programmed channel is set for FM narrow.

My guess is you have an old version of RT Systems, current vers. is 5.00.32.
Run rtupdater_v5.exe and update IC-R30.

In RT Systems find group 3,
Verify you have the correct output freq from the tower/site
Change it to simplex from DUP (just in case the offset is wrong)
In the mode column change it from FM Narrow to P25

Group 4 Milair General needs mode changed to AM. Probably the same for group 7.

Groups 5 and 6 are probably P25, so follow the Group 3 suggestion.

Write this to the radio and let's see what happens. Maybe export the memory channels again and post to allow comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.