R30 performance with simulcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I know the R30 isn't designed to track trunked systems, but has anybody tried to monitor P25 simulcast signals with it?

If so, how did it do?

Thanks for sharing any observations!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have monitored the RISCON-Providence system with it in the middle of Providence and it did better than my 996XT and not as good as my G5

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I have monitored the RISCON-Providence system with it in the middle of Providence and it did better than my 996XT and not as good as my G5

Thanks for the information, Citywide173. I suspected that would be the case.

My G5 and SDS100 can't be beat for monitoring simulcast systems, but I've been thinking about buying an R30 some day, and I'm looking for any justification I can find for doing so.

I really like Icom radios (I've had the R1, R100, R2, R5, R6, and R20 in my arsenal), and I'm intrigued with the R30.

Have a good day!

-Johnnie

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Mine seems to do better than my Uniden 436.

I think they've done just about all they can for the '436 when it comes to simulcast reception, but it ultimately boils down to hardware. The R30 must have a better front end, and I wonder what that might be . . . filters, digital signal processor?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I think they've done just about all they can for the '436 when it comes to simulcast reception, but it ultimately boils down to hardware. The R30 must have a better front end, and I wonder what that might be . . . filters, digital signal processor?
Whatever they did, they did it right. Am enjoying mine.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
My R30 works as well as my sds100 here in Cincinnati on the MarcsIP system. I am very pleased with the audio, no simulcast distortion at all. If someone came up with a way to add alpha tags to the tg Id I would be extremely happy.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
My R30 works as well as my sds100 here in Cincinnati on the MarcsIP system. I am very pleased with the audio, no simulcast distortion at all. If someone came up with a way to add alpha tags to the tg Id I would be extremely happy.

That's good to hear, wb4sqi!

Is your R30's ability to receive that system with no simulcast distortion impacted when you go mobile (i.e. while driving or walking around)?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
That's good to hear, wb4sqi!

Is your R30's ability to receive that system with no simulcast distortion impacted when you go mobile (i.e. while driving or walking around)?

No matter where I am the reception is clear. I take it mobile and run the audio through my CRV sound system. Sometimes when at home I run the R30 side by side with an SDS200 and find that the R30 is equal to the 200 reception. The TG ID's popup and match the 200 ID's.

If Icom chose to they could manufacture a tracking scanner based on what I have experienced. That isn't their core market so I don't expect to see one in the future. I just find it amazing that it works as well as it does. I tend to take it with me when I leave the house as the battery life is much better than the SDS100.

N4DJC

What’s the best method to monitor a p25 phase 1 system with the R30, program the frequencies used and scan those?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
What’s the best method to monitor a p25 phase 1 system with the R30, program the frequencies used and scan those?
I have thirteen frequencies programmed in one bank for a local MARCS-IP system. It ignores the CC and receives any VC with activity also displaying the TG. You can adjust the TG display time to hold on signal. Because this is a smaller system for Clermont Co. this method works well for me. If I tried to listen to Cincinnati city and Hamilton Co. the amount of traffic would be overwhelming. This is where the SDS100 shines with the ability to select TG's in multiple systems.

N4DJC

I have thirteen frequencies programmed in one bank for a local MARCS-IP system. It ignores the CC and receives any VC with activity also displaying the TG. You can adjust the TG display time to hold on signal. Because this is a smaller system for Clermont Co. this method works well for me. If I tried to listen to Cincinnati city and Hamilton Co. the amount of traffic would be overwhelming. This is where the SDS100 shines with the ability to select TG's in multiple systems.

If I’m reading correctly, there are eleven frequencies including the CC.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
If I’m reading correctly, there are eleven frequencies including the CC.

Whoops, I misspoke, I just checked and have 14 frequencies. I pulled them from RR, converted to CSV and imported. Don't know where you are seeing eleven.

N4DJC

Whoops, I misspoke, I just checked and have 14 frequencies. I pulled them from RR, converted to CSV and imported. Don't know where you are seeing eleven.

I left off an explanation in my post, it was confusing to put it mildly. It should have read,”If I’m reading correctly for my system, there are eleven frequencies including the CC”. A system that small should work for the R30.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I left off an explanation in my post, it was confusing to put it mildly. It should have read,”If I’m reading correctly for my system, there are eleven frequencies including the CC”. A system that small should work for the R30.
Yes, if your system has eleven frequencies then it will work very well. Even if they change CC weekly the R30 will ignore that and just decode the VC. You should be good to go.

N4DJC

Yes, if your system has eleven frequencies then it will work very well. Even if they change CC weekly the R30 will ignore that and just decode the VC. You should be good to go.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

N4DJC

Be sure to let us know how well it works for your Jerry.

Will do Nick, my R30 should be here Thursday. I just realized I asked you the same question on the FB group...didn’t mean to waste your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.