R30 R30 receive mil air band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Milair isn't for me. But I can read the specs.

You know the antenna is a big deal, without that is not productive to ask such a question.

Where I have used the appropriate antenna, it's a very good receiver. Compared to other receivers running off the same antenna via multicoupler, it's the most sensitive handheld I have.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Yeah after posting the question I searched on youtube and found several good examples. It looks like the R30 has much better front-end filtering than most other receivers in its class (over the years.) Where other receivers are nearly deaf, the R30 seems to shine. I'm trying to find a SM but no luck yet.

I've just bought one of these, and as I was reading through the user manual I was a bit alarmed to come to the frequency ranges on one of the last pages, and it suggests that it is not possible to receive mil airband.
See @Hit_Factor's initial reply post above of the specs, and it does seem to indicate that, in AM mode, the airband frequency range is only 118.000 to 136.999 MHz, suggesting that only the civil airband can be dialled in. (The mil airband frequencies are available in the spec table, but -it seems to imply- only in FM mode, which is not correct for mil airband.)
Having said that, I have twiddled my dial in AM mode all the way up to 350.000 MHz, and it looks to work. I have not, however, actually received anything on the radio to confirm that it does work yet.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The specs that Hit_Factor linked to indicate it will receive the military air band in AM or FM.
I'm not sure what you saw in the specs to make you think otherwise.

I did notice the Sensitivity rating has nothing listed for AM mode above the civil air band which seems to be an error.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I was able to hear Air Force 1 in the military air band with the stock antenna when the President visited our area. It also handles simulcast P25 very well and on a system that doesn't have heavy traffic scans fast enough to not miss much compared to a regular scanner.

Ah, well it is jolly splendid to hear that it does indeed cover mil airband, but in defence of myself, I attach a screenshot of the relevant page of the user manual. I interpreted, or perhaps mis-interpreted, the horizontal line between the AM and FM sections in the left hand column as meaning that the frequency ranges listed in the next column only applied to the mode to its left.Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 17.01.23.png

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Just heard mil air comms on 257.400 for the NORAD training exercise in Canada. I agree the R30 is also the most sensitive handheld I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.