R30 Searching Multiple Ranges & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

I was literally going to order the R30 from GP tonight. After reading this thread I'm really bummed out, but also thankful. Damn it.

If you really want an IC-R30 I would go ahead and purchase one, it's a terrific wideband receiver, does everything Icom says it does and does it very well.

I should add that reception of NOAA frequency 162.550 MHz is poor at my location on all my receivers, if anything, reception on my IC-R30 at that frequency is superior to the other receivers I own (SDS100, SDS200, BCD436/536HP, various Yaesu/Kenwood models etc.).

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You won't go wrong buying a R30. I think its the best handheld receiver on the market. Picks up P25 almost better than my SDS200. Definitely better than my 436. I bought the Icom software that makes it better than manually putting in the frequencies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Agree. I never thought this wideband receiver would quickly become my top scanner, tied with my R6 for sensitivity for V/U airband but far more features. P25 equals the quality of my G4 and it's a great tool for searching P25 systems. Love the one-touch built in audio recording with metadata.

kinglou0

Getting in here late but ran thorough a couple of frequencies on both VFOs and I couldn’t see or hear a difference.

Serial # 16001867 - Purchased 4/17/20 from HRO Portland

CPU 1.11
DSP 1.03
GPS 11613
Bluetooth 1.12

kinglou0

Agree. I never thought this wideband receiver would quickly become my top scanner, tied with my R6 for sensitivity for V/U airband but far more features. P25 equals the quality of my G4 and it's a great tool for searching P25 systems. Love the one-touch built in audio recording with metadata.

No doubt. The only knock is no DMR but everything else the R30 brings to the table makes that omission quickly disappear.

It is my main go to when I need to discreetly signal stalk. The wealth of data recorded, the seamless Bluetooth control and audio, and the outstanding life on AAs is awesome (yes, go buy the alkaline cell holder).

There have been numerous times where I’ve had my R30 in a backpack and happily monitored to my heart’s content. Icom control app on my phone and the audio routed to a pair of Bluetooth earbuds.

What other receiver on the market is capable of that? None that I’m aware of.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have paired a BT speaker and an older 2016 Kindle Fire (Rooted) to control it. They both work fine at the same time. Sometimes instead of the speaker, I have a BT earplug. My iPhone and Motorola phone can also control it using the App. I didn't do anything special. I presume the instructions are in the manual, but I just figured it out. I believe the furthest was 30', but it was wonky. Twenty feet (6m) or closer is best.
IMG_1687.jpg

How does the pairing work? Phone paired with R30, but then what do the BT earbuds pair with?

palmerjrusa

How does the pairing work? Phone paired with R30, but then what do the BT earbuds pair with?

My IC-R30/IC-705 paired with my Bluetooth earbuds/Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones within oh, I'd say, a second.

Conversely, I've yet to get any of my Yaesu or Kenwood supposedly BT-"capable" handhelds to pair with anything.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You will not be unhappy with an R30. Shortly after I got mine a buddy of mine and I were out train chasing. I was using my Icom F3161 railroad radio and a Motorola XTS5000 to monitor the rail frequencies where were were sitting, and searching the RR band with the R30. The R30 was picking up dispatcher transmissions from over 30 miles away which wouldn't even break squelch on the other two radios using the same model antenna.

To the OP: you sure can search/scan multiple ranges with the R30. I do it quite often; I've got one range set up as the original railroad frequencies in carrier squelch only, and another range with the railroad channels in NXDN digital mode only. I can even toss in a range searching the air bands as well. Works like a champ.

kinglou0

My IC-R30/IC-705 paired with my Bluetooth earbuds/Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones within oh, I'd say, a second.

Conversely, I've yet to get any of my Yaesu or Kenwood supposedly BT-"capable" handhelds to pair with anything.

Most importantly, you can pair multiple devices with the R30 at once (provided they’re not using the same Bluetooth protocol). So you can have the app paired with your phone/tablet and stream audio from the R30 to a audio device of your choice.

Any other manufacturer would have screwed this up. I can guarantee that.

I might grouse at the decisions aka “omissions” ICOM makes BUT the attention to detail and creative engineering makes me one of their biggest fans.

palmerjrusa

Most importantly, you can pair multiple devices with the R30 at once (provided they’re not using the same Bluetooth protocol). So you can have the app paired with your phone/tablet and stream audio from the R30 to a audio device of your choice.

Any other manufacturer would have screwed this up. I can guarantee that.

I might grouse at the decisions aka “omissions” ICOM makes BUT the attention to detail and creative engineering makes me one of their biggest fans.

Love Icom gear, they've really been on a roll these past few years.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would be great if Icom made a desktop version of the R30. Same size and screen size of the SDS 200. Would get one in a heart beat!

eorange

I just did the simultaneous earbud / phone pairing. Man this is sweet! I had no idea it was possible. I feel like I have a whole new toy now.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it's very cool especially with a speaker, but carrying it on one's hip, or in a backpack and using a headset and a phone to control is nice as well. WWV 24/7!
I just did the simultaneous earbud / phone pairing. Man this is sweet! I had no idea it was possible. I feel like I have a whole new toy now.

N4DJC

Would be great if Icom made a desktop version of the R30. Same size and screen size of the SDS 200. Would get one in a heart beat!

I wish they would make a color screen version like the long delayed ID-52A, my only gripe is the R-30’s screen is difficult to read (for me) in bright conditions.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If we could get allot of folks to send Icom a message to build a desktop version of the R30, maybe they will build it. But with chips for radios super low, could be awhile if they did.

eorange

The R30 likely exists in its current form factor due to their IC-A25C airband transceiver and their MD93 marine transceiver. They are capitalizing on similar production lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.