R6 R6 replacement, longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Wow, I really like the red R6. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on one and this post may help :). I didn't realize that it doesn't come with a battery pack. What are you guys who have an R6 using to power it? It looks like rechargeable Eneloop NiMH would work with the Icom drop-in charger.
I use alkaline AAs. I've also used my Eneloops, but for me the alkalines are more convenient - it runs a long time.

W2PDX

Do you have the desktop drop-in charger and will the Eneloops charge correctly in the radio?

MrThompson

All of our handheld scanners run on Eneloops with the exception of the R30. We run a separate DC solar system that provides the power for our computers, phones, tablets, radios, etc. The only radio currently plugged into the mains is the 7030 Plus in our family room. This along with unplugging everything not in use (including all the televisions, can't stand the lies and morals) lopped $120 a month off our electric bill.

palmerjrusa

Wow, I really like the red R6. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on one and this post may help :). I didn't realize that it doesn't come with a battery pack. What are you guys who have an R6 using to power it? It looks like rechargeable Eneloop NiMH would work with the Icom drop-in charger.

Me too, ordered one yesterday along with the recharging stand. I think there's only a handful left on the planet, Gigaparts seems to be the only dealer that has them. If you decide to buy one and don't have an account with Gigaparts then you should set one up, they emailed me a code for a free gift.

palmerjrusa

As of the 22nd Gigaparts had 20 red ones left in stock. I believe these are the last of the stock on the planet. Ya snooze ya loose!

UPS was here just before 9:30. The red radio performs like my grey one. I use warm white LED USB sticks with a diffuser to illuminate my radios at night. The metallic red finish reflects quite a bit more light. Not sure how I'm going to like this so I ordered another grey one. Fashion is not my gig but the red goes with my phones.

i-DsvHbxh-XL.jpg

Max of 19 units now, ordered one yesterday!

W2PDX

Cool! Did you order the BC-1965A wall wart? Looks like the desktop charger doesn't actually come with the AC plug.

palmerjrusa

Cool! Did you order the BC-1965A wall wart? Looks like the desktop charger doesn't actually come with the AC plug.

Yeah I saw that but didn't order one since my original IC-R6 was supplied with a BC-196SA and I'll use that with the BC-194 desktop charger. I've been using Eneloop or Amazon basic AA cells (in conjunction with a Powerex MH-C9000 charger (best AA cell charger ever!) or La Crosse BC1000 charger) with my original IC-R6, I'm assuming the BC-194 will be able to handle charging the IC-R6 plus AAs.

Last edited:

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Fedex man just delivered my red IC-R6 Sport and desk charger...it sure is a smart looking little receiver!

Just got my Red R6 Sport a little while ago too. Now to the manual. Its set up and operation is a little different than the R2. I had to loose the annoying beeps. The was a process. Ha. I put some frequencies in it and the receive is awesome on VHF. Time to play

palmerjrusa

Just got my Red R6 Sport a little while ago too. Now to the manual. Its set up and operation is a little different than the R2. I had to loose the annoying beeps. The was a process. Ha. I put some frequencies in it and the receive is awesome on VHF. Time to play

Enjoy!!
I might spring for the RT Systems software for it.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this thread! I grabbed a red R6 from Giga Parts and totally love it. Best VHF/UHF analog performance besides my R30. Blows Uniden and Whistler away on my local analog UHF public safety system.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Its a challenge to get it programmed with all the button pushing and dial turning lol. Its a little different than my R2. But you can't beat the vhf/uhf receive. I have a computer cable for it, I'm just trying to decide if I want to fork over $$ for a computer program to make it a little easier to get some more channels in it

Status
Not open for further replies.