R7100 Display Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccreary

After replacing the illumination lights on my R7100 for the third time, I am ready to upgrade the illumination to either white or red LEDs, properly current limited. Has anyone done this before? I distinctly remember the upgrade I made from traditional lamps to blue.white LED's on my now ancient Heathkit electronic grandfather clock and the results were just short of spectacular so this may be sufficient incentive to do this on my R7100. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dick, N8AER

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I was about halfway to doing this with green or blue LEDs on my 7100 when I sold it. The amberish backlight annoyed me. I can't remember if the stock bulbs were 12V or not, but I was down to only one when I decided to sell it and never bought another one. I have bought a bunch of different colored 3mm LEDs that already have a resistor to allow them to be connected to 12V off Ebay. They are a little too bright (IMHO) for direct replacement and need some "shading" (Black liquid electrical tape works pretty well) but once you get it done, it's done. I have LEDs that I bought in the late 60's that still work fine.

mccreary

R7100 Illumination Mods

I believe I will need to do some research if I am to find LEDS with a broad enough beam width to elumate that of the existing grain of wheat lamps currently in place. Otherwise, I may find some sort of defuser panel or plate that I have seen on other digital displays using LEDS for edge illumination. Apparently, they place the diffuser plate behind the LCD display and edge light the diffuser. This plate then spreads the illumination more evenly behind the LCD display. If I can accomplish this, I probably won't have to use wide beam divergence LEDS. Has anyone else seen this sort of technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.