R71A with EEB HP Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverScan

Hello,

I received a 71A with the EEB mod and I don't know how to use it or what it does. The only way to hear coms is when I push the "W" Filter in, if I leave it out it seems very narrow, sounds same as when I press the "N" Filter when either the "W" is pressed or not, perhaps a CW mode?

I also would like to know what exactly was done to the 71A with this mod.

Thank you.

ridgescan

I own an R71a with EEB HP mods. Your filter buttons are azz-backwards like mine which is normal when you get the EEB-no worry there. It is my understanding that there were a few option packages to choose from, and mine got a package consisting of an audio upgrade which makes AM audio fuller and louder, PBT function in AM mode, the FM option, and a set of Collins custom filters; a realignment after and bench test. I got this rig used so I can only go on what I was told by others who knew and what I know the rig can do.
BTW Mike very cool link up there! Going to check the whole thing for the memories:) Did ya see the ad with Clint Eastwood holding a HH?

EDIT: found an EEB PDF with all the EEB mods in there on pages 2 and 3.
http://www.americanradiohistory.com...ations/80s/Popular-Communications-1986-09.pdf

BTW why can't I sign in like I always did? Seems there's an issue with security? I have to go to the home page and sign in then come here.

Last edited:

VancouverScan

Ok, I opened the 71A and took a look at the mods. Besides some new caps, PBT working in AM, there is a new Mechanical Filter where the old ceramic 455 was, it is a MF-455-11GZ by KOKUSAI, a tight 2.4KHz from what I read.
My filter selections in the front W & N are correct, the W needs to be pressed for AM/USB/LSB, when in AM it resorts to the 6KHz I believe and in USB/LSB is resorts to 2.4KHz. When I press the N filter is when it reduces to 500Hz for CW.

This is what I believe anyway, if someone has anything else to ad I'd appreciate it. I cleaned her up and working quite well, AM is really nice to listen to, not like a typical 71A.

ridgescan

That sounds accurate with the filter buttons as that is what mine does as well-sorry for the lazy line in my other post. Enjoy your R71A. I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine! What a workhorse this rig is. They built a fine one in this receiver.

VancouverScan

That sounds accurate with the filter buttons as that is what mine does as well-sorry for the lazy line in my other post. Enjoy your R71A. I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine! What a workhorse this rig is. They built a fine one in this receiver.

Thanks for the reply ridgescan. Do you find that you need to adjust the PBT and or move the freq. up by 1hz or so? Or perhaps mine needs an alignment or something. It is fine in AM mode but USB/LSB I need to move the freq up or down a bit depending on USB or LSB monitoring. An example: 11.175.0MHz sounds better at 11.175.2MHz.

ridgescan

Thanks for the reply ridgescan. Do you find that you need to adjust the PBT and or move the freq. up by 1hz or so? Or perhaps mine needs an alignment or something. It is fine in AM mode but USB/LSB I need to move the freq up or down a bit depending on USB or LSB monitoring. An example: 11.175.0MHz sounds better at 11.175.2MHz.
If it happens in both USB/LSB you have an adjustment pot (screw) under the rig at the front to the left of the VFO brake adjuster screw. So tune to WWV on 10megs, and start in USB. Turn the screw until you get either equal tone to WWV's tone in AM, or until you hear zero-beat on voice during time announcement.
Repeat for LSB, BUT you should have balance on both with this pot.

dkf435

Ebay seller "9259rfr" is R Robinson ex owner of EEB every once in a while he will sell boards and other parts used in doing the radio mods.

David

VancouverScan

Thanks a lot for that info ridgescan, I will fool with it and let you know how it turns out. dkf435, I will look for him on fleabay, thanks for the info also. You both have a great weekend whats left.

VancouverScan

If it happens in both USB/LSB you have an adjustment pot (screw) under the rig at the front to the left of the VFO brake adjuster screw. So tune to WWV on 10megs, and start in USB. Turn the screw until you get either equal tone to WWV's tone in AM, or until you hear zero-beat on voice during time announcement.
Repeat for LSB, BUT you should have balance on both with this pot.

I adjusted the pot underneath and now it is spot on, thank you very much, I appreciate your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.