R75 ATT scan mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucko

I am a very new R75 owner, just picked it up today to replace my old FRG 7700 ( which still works fine ). I have a few utilities in the scan mode and have the 5mz & 6mz set to ATT ( not the 8mz and 11mz freqs ), I noticed a relay clicking on and off with this ATT. Is this normal ( I figure it is ) and will it be hard on the radio? The owners manuel says you can program this way.

brandon

Database Admin
You can turn the clicking off.

Press the ANT|SET button and use the arrows to go to the option that says REC RM and use the big tuning knob to set it to OFF. Then press the ANT|SET button to save and exit.

Bucko

Brandon
Thanks for your reply but that is your recorder remote setting, however I tried it any way and did not help a thing. The relay only clicks when I have the ATT set for a few chosen freqs in the memory scan. Again thanks for your reply....

K0ATC

Theres nothing you can do about that, i assume ATT is your attenuator. Whats the reason you need that on? If you are trying to bring down static noise you are also going to lose signal strength. The relay is doing what it is ment to do, I had an AOR5000A and it was all relays, never had a report of any problems with them and they would go 24/7.

Bucko

Correct it is my attenuator. The reason I am using the ATT on the 5 & 6mz freqs is the static levels are higher of course than the 8 thru 13mz range. I was pretty sure the relays were doing what they here suppose to do, just concerned about them going in & out so much.Yes I know you lose signal but I can not hear the weaker traffic in that static anyway. Maybe I need to go back to a dipole instead of coax fed long wire.Your answer on how much you used your AOR with the relays being used answered what I really was wanting to know, with the relays in & out so much.

K0ATC

Good, im glad we answered your question! I dont know for sure, but i think DSP is an option for the R75, it really works great on my IC-7000. May be something to look at. You should be able to use the squelch to cut off everything below the noise floor, for example if you are getting static to S9 on your meter, you can adjust your squelch up to S9 and the static will lower down but will not take any S-units from a signal above the noise. Give it a try there are much better ways to handle static. The wire will pick up some added noise.

Bucko

Right, the R75 has the DSP option installed from the factory. I have played with it a bit and it does help bring out the audio from the static on the weaker signals, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.