R8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Someone in Alberta won an auction for 26 r8500s with no power supply. I'm sure they will show up on eBay or Kijiji or some site like that. Keep an eye out for them and let me know. I'd like to pick up one if the condition and price is right.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
what a deal, and many dollars to be made there

If they sell all 26 at a grand each that is 26K, very good profit. They didn't come with a power and the one that I saw looked a little dirty. I'm sure they work and one day they will show up for sale somewhere. I'm sure someone doesn't need 26 of them to themselves.

I'd consider buying 1 or 2 if the price and condition was right.

zguy1243

Well well well.... look what showed up on eBay

Copy that. I seen them there too. It seems they are are not selling. The 10 that are posted have not sold yet unless he is selling them outside the ebay auction too. I wonder how the condition really is and what agency or company had 26 running and for what reason?

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
They were from the DND here in Canada. I'm sure they were for monitoring purposes. The cost is over the top. If he wants to sell them they should be no more than $800 or less. Yes they are 2K new but so what? Who knows how many hundreds of hours are on them.

zguy1243

They were from the DND here in Canada. I'm sure they were for monitoring purposes. The cost is over the top. If he wants to sell them they should be no more than $800 or less. Yes they are 2K new but so what? Who knows how many hundreds of hours are on them.

yes that was my concern with them. I'm sure some have the back lighting burned out because that is the sign of extended use. I agree on the price being high. He is asking about going rate for a well kept privately owned radio with manuals and such...

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
yes that was my concern with them. I'm sure some have the back lighting burned out because that is the sign of extended use. I agree on the price being high. He is asking about going rate for a well kept privately owned radio with manuals and such...

You are correct. I'm not going to pay that price for something that's been left on for who knows how long.

KE4RWS

People and their crazy pricing

You are correct. I'm not going to pay that price for something that's been left on for who knows how long.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm sure the seller chose the nicest looking one for the main photo. Who knows what the one you would receive would actually look like. Buying this way always carries that extra gamble.

I recently bought an R8500 (my first) but I was very careful to buy from a private owner where I could at least determine how it was used and for how long and ensure it wasn't used in an environment where people smoked 24/7. It took me MONTHS before I settled on the one I purchased and I passed over a LOT of 8500's before deciding on the one I bought, which came from a wealthy scanner enthusiast who purchased it brand new but passed away from cancer and the receiver had very little use prior to his diagnosis. Unbeknownst to the person handling the sale of the mans radio gear after his death, it happened to come with the UT-102 voice module, MB-23 carry handle, and the FL-52A 500 Hz CW filter :D (I actually find the voice module annoying). I pulled the covers hoping to get lucky enough to find the CR-293 option installed as well but it wasn't there :( - Oh well . . .

Bottom line is I would never pay a GRAND for a receiver that was obviously left running for undetermined amounts of time and operated by people that had no vested interest in how they were used or treated. I'm sure some people might pay that for one used in this manner but NOT ME.

PS- I found it kind of amazing a receiver of this price doesn't automatically come with a carry handle the way radio's of yester-year always did. A carry handle was never an "option" years ago. Radio's of this caliber and price simply *came* with them by default. Clearly things have changed....

Status
Not open for further replies.