R8600 R8600 No Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Turned on my R8600 this morning and … nothing. Dead in the water. I have tried everything - switched cords, power supply, tried different outlet - nothing. I have been working this radio on overtime this week monitoring milair and Middle East news, and relief efforts in Puerto Rico after the earthquake. Working fine last night. Icom tech instructed me to send it in after checking fuses, etc. I am stumped. Still under warranty, but what a time to be without hf radio ugh. On its way up to Michigan tomorrow. Anybody have any experience with Icom repair up there? First time having to send off a radio to be repaired since - forever!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Turned on my R8600 this morning and … nothing. Dead in the water. I have tried everything - switched cords, power supply, tried different outlet - nothing. I have been working this radio on overtime this week monitoring milair and Middle East news, and relief efforts in Puerto Rico after the earthquake. Working fine last night. Icom tech instructed me to send it in after checking fuses, etc. I am stumped. Still under warranty, but what a time to be without hf radio ugh. On its way up to Michigan tomorrow. Anybody have any experience with Icom repair up there? First time having to send off a radio to be repaired since - forever!
Very sorry to hear this JD, I'm sure you tried everything. This is a time that you would want that radio.

I know what you mean about it being a bad time to lose the radio. I too have been monitoring shortwave for News and keeping a very close eye on the situation. Thank God we're in good hands.

Again very sorry to hear about this as I know how much you enjoy that radio and it's not that old. Real bummer but it'll be back before you know it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yup, not good timing at all. But, truth be told, the R75 is no slouch in the reception department. The R8600 is, of course, very user-friendly, and I am just now (this past week) really learning the radio and all it can do. I bet I haven't even tapped into 1/3 of what the R8600 radio does. So much easier to manage memories and group scans, etc. It has quickly become my go-to radio for monitoring the situation in the Middle East. That guy on 17680 is screaming at the top of his lungs (Al-Jazeera). Yeah hf radio is all of a sudden busy. The tech told me approx. 3week turnaround for incoming repairs right now. Not a happy camper here no way no how ;)

Yes, Bob, you said it all right there - thank God we're in good hands!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Someone else in another thread here mentioned an odd problem with their 8600.
A reply said to pull the SD card if one was used. Amazingly, that fixed the problem. I really don't see how that did anything as the SD card is not needed to run the radio much less powering it on.

I guess it's worth a try if you have a card in your radio.
Disconnect any power source, pull the card and apply power and see if it will switch on.

Good luck and I hope you get it back quickly if a miracle does not happen before you ship it out!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep JD I've been using the R75 also... kruser has some Sage advice there... Keep us posted on what happens. Let us know about any Miracles LOL but if the SD card doesn't work it's best to send that puppy off ASAP as you'll get it back faster.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah, I mentioned a previous SD card problem to the tech and we tried that, too, with a brand new formatted card. nada. Corrupt SD cards can exhibit strange symptoms ( as I posted before when I had the Group Scan powering off problem). I am pretty confident we tried everything we could before he instructed me to send it in. Hopefully its something simple and I will get it back in good shape. Crossing my fingers.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I mentioned a previous SD card problem to the tech and we tried that, too, with a brand new formatted card. nada. Corrupt SD cards can exhibit strange symptoms ( as I posted before when I had the Group Scan powering off problem). I am pretty confident we tried everything we could before he instructed me to send it in. Hopefully its something simple and I will get it back in good shape. Crossing my fingers.

Yikes, Please keep us posted. My wonderful wife just got me the IC-R8600 for Christmas and I would be curious to find out what the issue was. On a related note, I just received my AOR DV-1 back after having the LCD fail. The repair process took two months but it had to go to Japan. Best of luck with your situation.

N4DJC

Hope everything is resolved soon, we're all interested in the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.