Race Headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gormana99

What is everyone using for race headsets?

I am looking to get a new headset for the races this year, my old radio shack ones are wore out. What do you use and like? I am considering a spotter type headset so I can use my portable HT and communicate with my wife with the headset on at the races.

Side question, what the heck do NASCAR spotters need 4 separate radios for? They have so many cords coming out of their headsets it has me intrigued on what they have for equipment and how they utilize it. Does anyone have any insight?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I use David Clark and RE headsets. I have dual PTT and a scanner port on my RE setup. One PTT port goes to my EX Series radio for PTT, Scanner goes to my NASCAR receiver and my second PTT goes to my "scanner" radio.

For Spotters they have similar with NASCAR on one port, PTT1 on Primary driver channel and PTT2 on secondary driver channel. Sometimes they have a DMR radio but can't be used when cars are on track other than team to team stuff. No driver comms are on DMR.

I will caution you if you plan to use a PTT style headset ensure you can only TX on your GMRS/FRS/HAM channels and nothing on NASCAR channels. Personally I'd leave a scanner on a separate port and just use the PTT for your comms to the wife.

RE has a single PTT with a scanner port.

1 TLK 1 Scanner

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
I should update my current ptt headset for another ht.

Last edited:

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time the ones with multiple radios are spotters, car chief and crew chief. Just over the weekend a team had a radio issue and someone didn't have either a Xtra radio or a Xtra headset. I remember asking a spotter what do you have on that other radio. He had NASCAR control on it not scanning. I have seen multiple teams radio display. A few said "driver X private" or ".1 digital" which would have been the dmr enc team channels"

Last edited:

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Correct. Most if not all spotters will NOT scan and will be on each channel. Its too critical to miss traffic in scan. The Mini-Pro and the earlier version are normally left on NASCAR control and clipped to the headset bar behind the head. Its no heavier than a pager. Cool devise truth to be told.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Correct. Most if not all spotters will NOT scan and will be on each channel. Its too critical to miss traffic in scan. The Mini-Pro and the earlier version are normally left on NASCAR control and clipped to the headset bar behind the head. Its no heavier than a pager. Cool devise truth to be told.

What's a Mini-Pro?

dgregjones

I highly recommend the "221 Solution 3" headset made by "Peltor" and sold at Racescanners.com.
They are a little pricey at $100. but you get what you pay for.
They have excellent noise reduction and sound quality, lightweight, and very comfortable to wear during long races.
I'm not a fan of the BTH (behind the head) models as they squeeze my head too tightly.
I've had mine for 25+ years and would not hesitate to buy again.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
I dont think my Rugged Radios(yes i know i will get comments on that haha) is as comfortable as my RE listen only and my old TrackScan listen only. My RR Talk and listen has one scanner port one radio port. I may want to do 3m Peltor or a more comfortable listen port and dual radio.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Question for you since you have ham two way and race experience. Is the2way radio port conector/pin outs universal across all talk headsets sold by RE, and all the headset providers? I could understand that the wiring would be different on the intercom versions. Where you can talk back and forth.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Hi Jerry. Otto stuff is top notch ear pieces headsets.
The company was not too far north of my last qth. Do they make anything in Illinois?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Question for you since you have ham two way and race experience. Is the2way radio port conector/pin outs universal across all talk headsets sold by RE, and all the headset providers? I could understand that the wiring would be different on the intercom versions. Where you can talk back and forth.

It varies. All RE stuff is the same. I had some other odd brand stuff and one was the same as RE and I used RE cords when I swapped radios however the other was not. The RE cords are excellent. You pay a few $$ more for RE stuff but its good stuff. Well worth the investments if you plan to do alot of listening.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Mini Pro

I have 2 of them setup on Control

I have the old one "Switch". When I saw they were out of RE3000 I looked and They had uh lol "switched" to the link you provided lol. I also clip my raceciever to the back of headset.
The 3000 i saw for over 500 on ebay

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
What is everyone using for race headsets?

I am looking to get a new headset for the races this year, my old radio shack ones are wore out. What do you use and like? I am considering a spotter type headset so I can use my portable HT and communicate with my wife with the headset on at the races.

Side question, what the heck do NASCAR spotters need 4 separate radios for? They have so many cords coming out of their headsets it has me intrigued on what they have for equipment and how they utilize it. Does anyone have any insight?

google racecomm llc appleton a local radio guy that can set you up

Status
Not open for further replies.