All Iowa Hospitals
All Iowa County Public Health Agencies
All Iowa Medical Helicopters
90% of Iowa's EMA/EOC's
All Iowa State Patrol Dispatch Centers
Civil Air Patrol
National Guard/RAID Counter Drug
Iowa DPS/LEIN Fusion Centers
State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC)
All Iowa Dept. of Ag - Regional Vets/Rapid Response Teams
Poison Control
University Hygienic Lab
Many local sheriff's offices, police and fire department

You can begin to see how they can "get away with it" because there is a vast number of users on this system. While it allows everyone to talk to each other and network or interop seemlessly, what if this huge system should ever fail? I don't see them mention that anywhere in their slick glossy brochure. Bottom line, a lot of revenue is generated and the end users have the ability to talk to each other.

43g70

Makes me wonder about the people using thier system for their main communications. They must trust the business alot to be honest and good to work with.

Think if the FCC actually did something, like make them turn off the sites till they are licensed. That would make people think differently being on a business system that they have no control over.

They could take their radio fees they pay monthly and apply that to their own channels have control and no monthly fees.

I agree about the range of the system and that is a huge selling point they have.

43g70

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
When was the last time the FCC actually went out and enforced anything? Yeah didn't think so.

This really is no different than a state-wide system with it being so vast and complex. A lot of the business users probably wouldn't care if the system went down or something happened. All they would know is that for some reason their walkie-talkie just stopped. They most likely don't even know what freq or TGID they're on. With that, the radio fees are cheaper than cellular phones for employees and you dont have to worry about calling each employee because everyone would have a radio. Less cost, additional productivity. Sounds good.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
43g70 said:
Makes me wonder about the people using thier system for their main communications. They must trust the business alot to be honest and good to work with.

Think if the FCC actually did something, like make them turn off the sites till they are licensed. That would make people think differently being on a business system that they have no control over.

They could take their radio fees they pay monthly and apply that to their own channels have control and no monthly fees.

I agree about the range of the system and that is a huge selling point they have.

43g70

Lets see, SC had a system run my SCANA, then it was sold to Motorola who built it out even more. I'd say that a lot of SC users are happy with a business running their radio system.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
It would most likely be cheaper in the long run to have your very own system that you maintain yourself. This way any upgrades or changes you wish to see fit can happen at any given time, not whenever the tech comes back from lunch and is able to perform such a task. Plus what if a system this large fails, that's troubling knowing everyone has put forth so much effort into just one area. Scary thought. Oh wait, I'm sure they have talk-arounds, the mutual aid freqs, and cell phones. I'm sure everything will just go on and be another day in Happy Valley.

Yokoshibu

Grog said:
Lets see, SC had a system run my SCANA, then it was sold to Motorola who built it out even more. I'd say that a lot of SC users are happy with a business running their radio system.

yeah ohio went right to motorola for MARCS and so far its shapping up pretty nicely!

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yes but if you look at many of these larger systems, you can see each tower site, and all of their freqs are licensed. RACOM isn't. Hmmmm.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
43g70 said:
I am curious how can Racom have none of their sites of their large system licensed?

They were all cancelled but this one.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1155230

Makes you wonder how they get away with it.

43g70

Howdy, everyone!

If you look at the Locations and Frequencies tabs of this license, you'll see "how they get away with it", at least in Iowa.

They're licensed statewide for Iowa and are licensed on the full 800 MHz. input and output ranges.

In essence, they're licensed for the entire 800 MHz. SMR band, statewide in Iowa. W/o looking further into the FCC DB, I'd say they've probably done something similar in the other states where they operate!

73's

43g70

All that I found under their name for current license is Business Conventional and the one trunking license for Iowa. searched both the ULS and the other Database.

If you look at State of Colorado system and State of South Dakota, they have each site licensed for their systems. That to me means RACOM should have their sites license or atleast another one of the whole spectrum licenses for a number transmitters in Nebraska, South Dakota and the other states.

Thanks for you view. We all are able to put them on the table here.

43g70

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Well if we were to stop and take a look at licensing enforcement a lot of agencies would be in trouble.

Look at Cass County alone to name a few: (ah yeah, pick on Cass once again...)

- No license for Union QRT.
- No license for Lancaster to page out Eagle / Alvo.
- No license for this PPD Mobile Data on 700MHz.
- No CW ID or Voice ID for CCSO-815.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, everyone!

NeFire242 - you're right about the Cass county "issues" you've brought up, but I'd say that the FCC has MUCH more important things on its plate these days than worrying about Union QRT's license, WNKT876, being over 3 years expired!

I'd guess, on the PPD Mobile Dat system, that they're in the process of filing an application or have one in. The FCC will generally allow you to activate a system and get it running prior to having a license in your hands, as long as the application is being filed or has already been filed.

We've probably discussed this very point before, but what kind of effort has been made to move Union and Nehawka onto the 154.385 system? It's probably a money issue, as well as an issue of coverage, especially in the Nehawka area. Although, I think we've already revealed that Nehawka vehicles have the 154.385 radios in them - does Union?

If you're ever listened to the nightly paging tests that are broadcast over the Union QRT repeater, one has to wonder how that badly-distorted audio can set-off pagers!

73's

Status
Not open for further replies.