RACOM system-wide rebanding starts Feb 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I heard that too, there are a few customers not happy with this. Main reason they have to stop operations and bring their employees and vehicles back to the base to have them flashed. Doesnt sound like a big deal, but then they are also looking at some radio downtime as things switch over and possible problems... Management hates change :)

pm1072

CR-South (Was System 13/ Shows Site: 3) *Confirmed and sent in*

2- 857.1625
3- 858.1625
6- 861.1625
15- 854.6625

*Confirmed 2/6/10*

HeartThrobs

Premium Subscriber
Edit number 4 now:
Map on the first page MIGHT become clickable in the next version if i get bored later. To be honest, making the index linked was a pain enuf but the map would be VERY handy, maybe with the license Call Sign in a little popup under the site number? hmmm

There is a map similar to what you describe on RR. Go to:
RACOM - IL, WI, MN, NE, SD, IA

Scroll down to the "System Frequencies" bar, look at the line below it and click on "FCC Call Signs" It can only be updated by Admin.

I could not get the "RR Locations" map to load. Anyone else?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Tim, do you have the LCNs to match or the site number? Thanks

No, I was going off some new license grants.

I have a question about your .pdf you put together. The oddball licenses on the bottom, are those separate towers that perhaps the county paid for to be put up? I'm not really following the licenses are licensed to the county themselves. To me, it look like a separate system, but still tied into the RACOM network.

Also, I have noticed some sites with just one frequency(ie. Collins). What is that all about?

TIA,
Tim K.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The oddball licenses at the bottom are frequencies used on the same tower, same system but are 'partitioned' to only that agency. For instance, the Pleasant Hill site has 5 frequencies that are licensed to RACOM, and are used for all RACOM customers, they also have 2 extra LCNs tacked on the end, which are licensed to Polk County and Mitchellville Prison. Polk County units can use all 5 of RACOMs plus their 1 extra channel. Mitchellville units are the same way. Think of it like buying dedicated space on a site, so in times of heavy traffic, you are never given a busy signal. Marshalltown is another site that does that. In fact, the Collins site, which is 1 frequency only because it operates as a SCAT site, can only be used by Marshall County units. They also have 2 or 3 frequencies licensed to them on the main Marshalltown site. If you watch the activity carefully using UniTrunker, you can see that their traffic usually uses their 3 channels first, and only if they are all in use, will jump to the 'global' RACOM channels.

I included the extra licenses as they are new and will show us a more accurate list of LCNs for a site. Hope that helps!

timkilbride

Database Admin
The oddball licenses at the bottom are frequencies used on the same tower, same system but are 'partitioned' to only that agency. For instance, the Pleasant Hill site has 5 frequencies that are licensed to RACOM, and are used for all RACOM customers, they also have 2 extra LCNs tacked on the end, which are licensed to Polk County and Mitchellville Prison. Polk County units can use all 5 of RACOMs plus their 1 extra channel. Mitchellville units are the same way. Think of it like buying dedicated space on a site, so in times of heavy traffic, you are never given a busy signal. Marshalltown is another site that does that. In fact, the Collins site, which is 1 frequency only because it operates as a SCAT site, can only be used by Marshall County units. They also have 2 or 3 frequencies licensed to them on the main Marshalltown site. If you watch the activity carefully using UniTrunker, you can see that their traffic usually uses their 3 channels first, and only if they are all in use, will jump to the 'global' RACOM channels.

I included the extra licenses as they are new and will show us a more accurate list of LCNs for a site. Hope that helps!

OK. Makes sense now.
Thanks

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Why are the FCC licenses listing the control point for each license as Reston, VA? I would think that the control points would be listed as Marshalltown, right?

Also, will these new sites' LCN's/frequencies skip around like the Cedar Rapids South site (pasted below)? Isn't it logical for them to do LCN 4 and 5 as 859.1625 and 860.1625, respectively? Why is it done like that?

2- 857.1625
3- 858.1625
6- 861.1625
15- 854.6625

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The control point appears to be the address for their lawyer? Unless they have suddenly added a headquarters in VA!

The LCN will more than likely appear mixed around like you saw, but it would be safe to assume the LCNs could actually be filled in like you mentioned above. their normal numbering scheme seems to be 856-857-858-859-860-861-854-855. Not sure why they did it that way but thats how they play out.

I think they put their licenses like that either because there is anothe system licensed close to that frequency, the frequency is licensed to another agency but will be used on the site (like Marshalltown) or they simply wont be using it so they dont want to license it to leave it available for other licensees.

Pleasant Hill has 856.4625-859.4625 licensed as RACOM, and 860.4625 licensed to Polk County.

Makes it a PITA to find the REAL story without doing some digging.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I see the Bettendorf and Moline sites now show as rebanded in the database? Anyone confirm the info? Reason I ask is it doesnt match the license at all so didnt know if maybe there is another one or what.

Thanks!

timkilbride

Database Admin
I see the Bettendorf and Moline sites now show as rebanded in the database? Anyone confirm the info? Reason I ask is it doesnt match the license at all so didnt know if maybe there is another one or what.

Thanks!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the same thing.

I spent a good chuck of yesterday programming radios, only to get bumped off my job about 10 hours before call time. I was spending everything 3rd night in Rock Island.

Tim K.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Umm so has anyone in eastern Iowa seen anything new? Its been quite a while and im pretty sure they rebanded at least 5 sites this week. Me and the others here would like to know if they have and what the new LCN / Site # is. Also any news on the Bettendorf site? Hellooooo helllllloooooooo :)

timkilbride

Database Admin
Umm so has anyone in eastern Iowa seen anything new? Its been quite a while and im pretty sure they rebanded at least 5 sites this week. Me and the others here would like to know if they have and what the new LCN / Site # is. Also any news on the Bettendorf site? Hellooooo helllllloooooooo :)

Are your wheels broke? lol j/k. Hopefully Tuesday and Wednesday I get out!

Tim K.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Ha ha, yea im thinking about heading over that way to do some sniffing around. Maybe ill check some of these sites! Not a blip on the radar in the central Iowa region. Im thinking the snow might be making this a bit of a PITA.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
They haven't changed anything at Independence or Oelwein yet. In fact, I haven't heard any new control channels on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.