Radacat Messenger C1 Vs. GoTenna MESH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I see that GoTenna MESH has a bit of competition from Radacat. Does anybody here have any experience with either one of these devices yet?

PacoBell

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to necropost, but I've just purchased a couple Radacat C1's that I'll be taking with me overseas to provide off-grid comms between my traveling buddy and me. Seemed cheaper than the goTenna Mesh, especially given the recent $30 off coupon on Amazon bringing the total price to somewhere around $100 + tax. Don't really have a way to test range right now, but it is based on LoRa technology, which I believe to be a superior Low-Power WAN modulation than its competitors, especially in regard to jamming resistance. It claims 6km typical range and up to 30km theoretical. Probably could be even better with advanced FEC like Haystack Technologies' LDPC-based XR coding or even their latest "Haystack Coding”-based XR2, which they hinted was based on a cutting edge 5G 3GPP FEC (probably Polar Codes). I'd eventually like to build a similar LoRa device that can support high-quality, real-time voice communications over extremely bandwidth-constrained channels such as this via the very efficient LPCNet codec (or something similar to it). I understand that Radacat is coming out with a C2 model soon that integrates a GPS module (the current C1 relies on your phone for location service). Both models should support mesh, although I don't know if the C1 can do multi-hop today. Oh yeah, and the C1 does claim to dynamically change frequencies to comply with international regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.