• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Radar Gun for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I guess you are not the only one saw them at target! I saw that also I was like okayyyyyyyyyyyy I didn't know that would be allowed. I wonder if does read over 100?

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Ha Ha, I think I may go run down there and pick me up one.
I doubt it has any efficient range considering it being a microwave
emmiting device being used around kids.... I gotta wonder if it uses
audio instead of rF for measurement instead. HMmmmmmmm
It could even be light......

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
ok, did some research and it is microwave. See this post from another site about it. .

Wandering through K-mart yesterday, my son was browsing through the toy car aisle, when I spotted a toy radar speed gun by Hot Wheels Mattel.
"Hmph!" I thought - bet it's just a silly little ultrasonic device or something equally nasty.
Not so! It uses a real RF doppler technique at 10.525 GHz (same as the old X band radar guns & radar detectors used). $39.95 - even if it were a toy, it would still be interesting to play with.

And play with it I have. It'll measure all sorts of things - rotational speeds of large spinning objects, angular velocity of moving objects. But, as it is a toy, it has to be intrinsicly safe - kids pointing it at other kids faces and all. As such, the power is very limited, and thus the range is limited too.

I've opened the thing up (no mean feat, I had to drill out all the plugs that cover the screws) and can begin to see why. The doppler module only draws about 4.5mA, at 0.5 volts DC, with another 0.5 volts AC on top of that. That's only a quick measurement with my multimeter. I'll check it out on the CRO at work, along with other stuff (like my 'microwave field strength meter' otherwise known as a Beltronics 943 radar detector!) and see what is going on.
At best case, 6 volts battery, 4.5mA, that's 27mw. But there's no way the device is putting this sort of power out. A 10mW radar unit performs much better than this toy does.
I suspect the real power output is more like 0.01mW - that would (or should) comply with RF radiation emission levels for 'kid safe' use.

car2back

Oh Lord.... I can see it now

"911, What is your emergency?"
"Uh, yes, I just clocked a vehicle speeding through my nieghborhood at 33 in a 25mph zone on my son's radar gun."
"Okay.....:confused::"

:lol:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
This is so funny. There's a couple kids across the street playing traffic control with one of those. :lol:

Well this ought to slow those damn speeders down.

Why does my radar detector keep going off??? Damn kids! :lol:

Last edited:

nexus

The one from Radio Shack is pretty good... Made by Bushnell, they're a leader in scopes and binoculars. I bought mine for 49 dollars and it works well. Every time someone with a detector flies by me, I just push the trigger and watch them hit the brakes!

bwhite

$49......I saw 'em go from about $125 marked down to $70-something;
are we talking the same one?
how's the accuracy seem? (would like to use it to measure pitchers for
base/soft ball)

random

I'm hoping the next gadget they come out with is a mini doppler weather radar, for kids, of course :wink:

USAPatriot

Wait until some boy-genius figures a way to boost the power and cooks his little sisters brain with it.

I like the idea of hammering speeders on my street with it though. The speed limit is 25, but 50-60 is not that unusual and there's a 3 car caravan that comes through about midnight at 90+. Probably one of the Hollywierdos. -Rod-

red8

Hey ya'll, believe it or not, I saw one on sale at the local Radio Shack
for around $80.00. That would sure come in handy at the race track
for the NASCAR qualifying

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
USAPatriot said:
Wait until some boy-genius figures a way to boost the power and cooks his little sisters brain with it.
Hm, sounds like a a job for........ I think I'll let the little tyke figure out what a liner is for. Oops! :lol:

I think a door-less microwave "nuker" would be better. :lol:

Al42

poltergeisty said:
I think a door-less microwave "nuker" would be better. :lol:
2 problems (for the little "darlings"). Even if you defeat the door interlock switch (problem1), most microwave ovens use choke seals at the door opening, so an open door doesn't allow much signal out. And defeating the choke seal means removing the cabinet, which will send the darling kid to meet his ancestors if he comes in contact with the magnetron power supply leads, or even the magnetron itself. It's about as safe as playing in traffic on the interstate in the rush hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.