RadarBox Question - delay or real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi,

(I tried finding the info, before i posted this and wasn't able too)

I want to purchase a RadarBox, but I want to know if it is actual real time or if there is a delay?

Realtime = plane is right above me, also on radar

Delay = plane is above me, but radar shows it further away

I am looking for real time.

If there is a delay, than whats the point of spending so much money on this, when I can visit popular website for aircraft tracking.

Is it real time or is there a delay in the RadarBox?

Thanks

dwlyons

I received a AirNav RadarBox from Santa. I love it!

That being said, you have options.

#1 - Using the supplied antenna or getting an optional base antenna to increase you actual "live" range, you get live (no delay) data directly. Using the live data you receive and in combination with the network's 5 min delayed data, you have plenty to watch.

#2 - You can pay an additional fee to AirNav for live network feed from the entire network. I can't justify the live network if I can't see the plane.

I decided to use a good base antenna with the Radarbox and the 5 min delayed network feed. I am using a Diamond Discone antenna. One note - Keep in mind that the antenna receives data in a line of site only due to the wave length of the data signal emitted by the aircraft so you want the antenna as high as possible for optimize reception.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I have one. Neat toy but it gets a bit boring after the initial novelty wears off.

If it could receive more military and GA stuff it would be a whole lot more interesting.

Minskie.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
To be fair and just a quick additional note;

We had a massive storm move through last night and it was interesting to watch aircraft being vectored around the storm and put in holding patterns.

RadarBox is great for monitoring aircraft during storm activity.

Good stuff.

morfis

Hi,

(I tried finding the info, before i posted this and wasn't able too)

I want to purchase a RadarBox, but I want to know if it is actual real time or if there is a delay?

There was a 5 minute delay but both Airnav and kinetic said they were removing the delay intheir firmware/software when the Aurora Eurotech announced that their new unit would be real time from first shipping. The latter unit is not yet shipping and won't be immediately available in the US.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
i must agree that having real time disply would be more enjoyable as far as visually confirming flights from the ground. It would appear that once someone (company) makes theres a real time setup, the others will follow to try and keep there part of market sales......I think we will see lots of growth in these units over the next couple of years as each company improves its product to out sell the others.

my two cents.......on the verge of buying Radar Box,

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Continental B739 passed over the house a few minutes ago. ANRB indicated right over the home station, stepped outside and there it was, right over the house. This thing is great, just got it. My only drawback is getting the antenna up as high as possible to get more range.

David

D

DaveNF2G

Realtime = via your own antenna to your home box.

Delay = via network (online) from other people's boxes.

sigint1

Was: joking
Realtime = via your own antenna to your home box.

Delay = via network (online) from other people's boxes.

Radarbox also offers realtime via network option that you can subscribe to - refreshes every 20 seconds which I hardly call a delay

D

DaveNF2G

You're not getting the point. The Radarbox network imposes a 5- to 10-minute delay on network data to satisfy "homeland security" requirements.

sigint1

You're not getting the point. The Radarbox network imposes a 5- to 10-minute delay on network data to satisfy "homeland security" requirements.

But Again I am saying you can subscribe to the realtimenetwork option - There is NO delay - except for the 20 second refresh time for the network - I have a radarbox and have tracked flights REALTIME toward my location in Reno and and can verify they are REALTIME as they come into my range and I picke them up they are still in the same place. There is a five minute delay on the regular network option. Check the airnav radarbox forums for more info.

homestea

Premium Subscriber
I too am subscribed to the realtime network for Radarbox in Reno. I can also confirm that the flight data shared by radarbox users on the Airnav network is indeed realtime with a 20 second refresh.

Hey Joking, I guess i am seeing a lot of traffic from your box when i get out of my own ADS-B antenna range (which is very llimited for me to the east because of buildings in my apartment complex). Thanks for sharing your data!

D

DaveNF2G

There are two possibilities with respect to online flight tracking of any sort.

1) The companies who provide realtime tracking for an extra fee are violating homeland security regulations.

2) These companies are lying about the existence of homeland security regulations in order to enhance their profitability.

sigint1

There are two possibilities with respect to online flight tracking of any sort.

1) The companies who provide realtime tracking for an extra fee are violating homeland security regulations.

2) These companies are lying about the existence of homeland security regulations in order to enhance their profitability.

Neither - I believe that you are refering the FAA requirement that companies who provide feeds using data from the FAA's system to the general public must be delayed 5 minutes - people who have a legitimate reason to get it real time - Airports, FBO's etc can still do so. The feeds from the radarbox (and I assume the ones from SBS1 are similar) are not FAA data - it is data from Radarboxes that are shared over private server - Sharing the data is voluntary and is not required to use the Radarbox. I know of no "Homeland Security" regulation that applies to Radarbox especially in light of Air Nav Systems being a European company to begin with. I work in an airport and a while back I gave out some frequencies to a coworker who had just got a scanner - include were local frequencies for several of the Airlines that operate at the airport. I was told by an airline employee I had given out "Classified Information" - before it was over I had to go to the Airport Police and TSA to get it straightened out.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
someone sent me this the other week. That's all I know....

Currently, it is against USA law to disclose what you receive on a non-commercial radio. It's been that way since 1934, when the Communications Act was signed into law. This includes ADS-B. If you are sharing receiver data, you are a criminal.

homestea

Premium Subscriber
That means everybody on this site streaming a scanner feed is also a criminal. Personally I'm not that worried about it and will continue to share my ads-b feed (unless I threatened with
legal action). ADS-B signals are not even encripted in any way so really anybody can recieve them if they want to do so anyway. If it was such security sensative issue, I think they would have encripted the data streams so only the FAA could decode it with some algorithm.

Last edited:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
All this 'Security Paranoia' is really getting my goat. Soon enough we won't even be able to fart without permision.

Just get on and enjoy life without the fear and hysteria is my motto, otherwise the mythical 'bogey man' really has won the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.