Radial installation for elevated antennas

KK7DUB

I am looking for knowledge regarding installation of counterpoise radials on elevated antennas, say 10 to 40 feet above ground level. I have a 10-40M Vertical antenna that I would like to mount on a 18 foot tripod. How do I deal with installation of the radials from the antenna at that height above ground? Should they be tuned to the same length based on frequency and dangle from the masthead on the tripod or should I find a way to connect them at ground level, or do I need radials at all at that height above ground? 20M radials are only required to be 16 feet long. If the antenna is 18 feet off the ground how do I handle this? Obviously I am a new Ham and would appreciate some instruction/counsel from an Elmer. Thanks/73,
Brien Akers
KK7DUB

KK7DUB

does the antenna even need radials or required to have them, some antenna don't need them.
It Is my understanding that most vertical antennas need some kind of ground plane or counterpoise. There are a few that are advertised as not requiring a ground plane but I am told that is more marketing than substance. But I really don’t know as I am new at this.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
By reading the instructions- it appears this is a manually tuned (by hand via adjusting the length on the whip) MOBILE antenna.
I would suppose you could mount it on a plate on top of a mast (taller the better) and cut 1/4wave wire radials (4 at least) and terminate one end if each to the plate - then using them as guy wires sloped down at 45 degrees with rope or other non metallic something attached to the oppsite ends of the 4 wires to extend to a fence-tree- house etc.....

BUT this then will only be good for likely a very narrow bandwidth up and down from the ONE frequency you have the antenna tuned to.

So it may not be a good choice for long term- but you can learn from it

ems55

Premium Subscriber
It Is my understanding that most vertical antennas need some kind of ground plane or counterpoise. There are a few that are advertised as not requiring a ground plane but I am told that is more marketing than substance. But I really don’t know as I am new at this.
I have aZeroFive ground plane antenna that does not need wire radials. Comes with4 rods and is mounted up at 10 feet ! Works great .....

KK7DUB

By reading the instructions- it appears this is a manually tuned (by hand via adjusting the length on the whip) MOBILE antenna.
I would suppose you could mount it on a plate on top of a mast (taller the better) and cut 1/4wave wire radials (4 at least) and terminate one end if each to the plate - then using them as guy wires sloped down at 45 degrees with rope or other non metallic something attached to the oppsite ends of the 4 wires to extend to a fence-tree- house etc.....

BUT this then will only be good for likely a very narrow bandwidth up and down from the ONE frequency you have the antenna tuned to.

So it may not be a good choice for long term- but you can learn from it
Thanks for the tips. I will keep an eye out for a location where that would work and give it a try, maybe tuning for 20M.