Radiant barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I am in the process of building a home in Wilmington. The roofing material is Georiga-Pacific Thermostat Radiant Heat barrier. I had intended to put my VHF/UHF scanner antennas in the attic, but I have a feeling my house is now a Faraday cage!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of situation and reception...or lack thereof!
John

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Just throwing an educated guess out there but it sounds like the term "radiant heat barrier" is just that, a barrier to heat and hopefully not RF. maybe their fancy name for fiberglass insulation. OTOH if you are going with a metal roof, there will be problems more than likely.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I should have been more descriptive. The radiant heat barrier is actually an aluminum foil surface bonded to the plywood and facing in towards the attic.
I do not think this bodes well for me.

wtp

foiled again

around here i have seen the radiant barrier plywood, foil faced heat chimney effect to the underside of the plywood, double foil faced wall insulation and heat reflective glass(metal) in windows. great to cut down on heat transfer but my daughter has to step outside to talk on the phone. she can see the tower but has to be outside to use it.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the lessened heat transfer and the money saved as a result. I guess I won't really know until I'm in the house and give it a shot. May have to get back to the old drawing board.
Thanks for your input.
John

around here i have seen the radiant barrier plywood, foil faced heat chimney effect to the underside of the plywood, double foil faced wall insulation and heat reflective glass(metal) in windows. great to cut down on heat transfer but my daughter has to step outside to talk on the phone. she can see the tower but has to be outside to use it.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Well that answers that. Bummer. Are you able to put up an outside antenna or do you live in a restricted covenants neighborhood? Most scanner antennas are small and unobtrusive and work pretty well.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Covenants. I'm not too worried about it. The biggest drawback, to me, is trading the stealth for the longer coax run. Things could always be worse and necessity is the mother of invention!

Status
Not open for further replies.