• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

radio adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I get my CB radio to sound like a Motorola consolette. I have a robyn CB transceiver and the speaker works fine but take notice between the two a Motorola consolette has a nice heavy sound and it seems to have hold on to the squelch noise at the end of the transmitting but the base station cb is more of a popping noise when someone else releases the PTT button.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How do I get my CB radio to sound like a Motorola consolette. I have a robyn CB transceiver and the speaker works fine but take notice between the two a Motorola consolette has a nice heavy sound and it seems to have hold on to the squelch noise at the end of the transmitting but the base station cb is more of a popping noise when someone else releases the PTT button.

Easy. Just ditch the cb and buy a real motorola radio.
By the way, what you are describing is called a "squelch tail" and is not going to be heard on your cb.

n9zas

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Unicom, now Motorola

Unicom and Motorola? Might be easier to buy a Motorola. But will it be used on only his licensed freqs.?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
How do I get my CB radio to sound like a Motorola consolette.

You don't.

I have a robyn CB transceiver and the speaker works fine but take notice between the two a Motorola consolette has a nice heavy sound and it seems to have hold on to the squelch noise at the end of the transmitting but the base station cb is more of a popping noise when someone else releases the PTT button.

So, the Motorola is in carrier squelch? Motorola, and several other manufacturers went to a great deal of time, effort, and money, to eliminate the squelch tail entirely. Put a pair of Motorola radios together on PL or DPL, and so long as signal strengths are decent, all you'll ever hear is the PTT button being released on the other end - no squelch tail at all.

If that's what you're shooting for, you could maybe change the time constant in the CB radio's squelch circuit to reduce it to a click. Or, use an audio delay chip, and mute the audio before the squelch tail hits the audio pa, in which case you won't even hear a click.

Or, you could do nothing, and settle on the fact that a cheap CB radio is not a multi-kilobuck commercial/public safety grade radio, and will never sound like one.

reedeb

ALL this is like using a toy rocket to fly to the ISS. It just can't be done!!! Use a CB as a CB NOT as a Motorola, or aircraft radio or a nuclear reactor. If by now you haven't figured this out it's time to go and do something else.
lac-1.gif

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
All this reminds me of a CB fad from the 1970's when all the kids would finish each transmission with a "psst" sound, mimicing the VHF-FM squelch tail of the public safety radios (pre-CTCSS limiting.)

"Breaker, one nine, psst."

"Go ahead, breaker, psst."

You get the idea.... :)

JayMojave

Hello Masterkeymaster: M+15

Use a good communications type external speaker, this is a big help in better sound.

The PTT popping is from a cheap mass production design used in the earlier CB radios. By wiring two diodes with cross polarities accross the speaker terminals in seriers with a 10 Ohm resistor will attenuate this popping noise.

Those older CB radios are a lot of fun. I use a DSP Noise Reduction type external speaker, and two other speakers off to the LH and RH sides as this makes its easier to hear all the goings on.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.