Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) Convention 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
An early notice of the upcoming Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) Convention 2012 to be held as follows:

Dates: August 10,11,12 / 2012

More details to be added as they become available.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
So any word on why it was cancelled? The website still has the same information that it had 3 days ago. Was it from lack of organization, getting the word out, lack of registrations? Hams have been talking, and most have been complaining about RAC. But that is the problem today with no everyone wanting to join RAC, but only complain. And it isn't only in Ham radio where there is a lack of wanting to help a club. But maybe the people in Edmonton know more about why this was cancelled. Rumors in Calgary are a lot of clubs didn't want to pay the $1000 per club that was asked, some say there was conflicting information. Can someone dispell the rumors?

SCPD

QRT
So any word on why it was cancelled? The website still has the same information that it had 3 days ago. Was it from lack of organization, getting the word out, lack of registrations? Hams have been talking, and most have been complaining about RAC. But that is the problem today with no everyone wanting to join RAC, but only complain. And it isn't only in Ham radio where there is a lack of wanting to help a club. But maybe the people in Edmonton know more about why this was cancelled. Rumors in Calgary are a lot of clubs didn't want to pay the $1000 per club that was asked, some say there was conflicting information. Can someone dispell the rumors?

I don't know what really happened .. something probably only a very few people really know.

Anyone that is in amateur radio in Canada should support RAC (more so than a local club) as RAC are the people that are protecting the rights and privileges that we have in Canada. Most of all .. they are the ones protecting the valuable spectrum that amateurs use on a daily basis. If we don't support them .. we could find our spectrum being sold off to the highest bidder.

As far as financial support ... I know that the largest club here (NARC / Northern Alberta Radio Club) made a very substantial donation to the convention. I don't know how other clubs have supported the convention.

Personally I think that the amateur community just didn't step up to the plate to support this convention. I suspect that there were very few pre-registrations, and without that support the convention would have had to rely on day of the event admissions. This would have put them in a very difficult position. I also believe that other factors caused this to happen .. but I am not in a position to discuss this publicly. Guess time will tell if we ever find out what really happened.

SCPD

QRT
For those that are looking for information on the cancellation of the convention, please check the attached pdf.

Attachments

• RAC Convention Cancellation.pdf
    292.2 KB · Views: 261

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
You get what you sow

I can remember when I first started to scan the VHF/UHF ham bands back in the late 1990s [digress: did listen to the AM ham bands back in the 1950s and 60s], that people in Calgary were whinning about the lack of recognition of hams in western Canada by RAC. It would appear RAC was right and most of the hams in western Canada won't support RAC. It was often felt that RAC only represented the east. I see similar complaints about ARRL in the US. I find it disconcerting that the people that benefit the most from these organizations only complain and do not do anything constructive to improve the situation [if indeed the situation is that bad]. I know that these are Amateur operators, but they should develop more of a professional attitude. Over the years, I have done a lot of volunteering [non amateur related] and have run into the same situation. People complaining, but when you ask them to volunteer or come forward with their suggestions, you are met with "not enough time" or "wrong time of the year". I heard that complaint in Calgary today that summer is a bad time. But is there really a good time for all? And some say lack of word about this convention. But I take it most of these are not RAC members. I have heard this converntion being mentioned for the last year on HF, VHF/UHF, and internet web site. Sad that, in any organization, a national convention has to be cancelled because of lack of participation.

VE6BRW

well now..

its a good thing that I checked in on the RAC web site... only to find out that the convention has been cancelled. Hmmm talk about suport I have taken the time off from work (pay loss) and booked a hotel for 3 nights ($$$ loss) travel time (fuel / wear&tear) etc.... along with the wife taking time off also, now tahts dedication I think, O'well I'm still going to come all the way down to Edmonton cause Ive paid for it all now I'm just disappionted because I was so looking forward to attending many seminars and walking through al of the displays anlong with chatting with all of the fantastic Amateur Operators, Scanner enthusiets etc.... the last RAC convention I could afford and attend was in Calgary, guess we'll see about next year?????

Status
Not open for further replies.