Radio and TV broadcasts on scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

On my scanner I can pick up 161.7300 which is a radio station 103.5 classic rock and 450.14375 which sounds like a tv station or at least mostly commercials. What is this? Do they broadcast these frequenciues to the towers then convert it to 103.5 or tv to be rebroadcast or is that someone who has decided to broadcast it over the airwaves or something?

nd5y

On my scanner I can pick up 161.7300 which is a radio station 103.5 classic rock and 450.14375 which sounds like a tv station or at least mostly commercials. What is this? Do they broadcast these frequenciues to the towers then convert it to 103.5 or tv to be rebroadcast or is that someone who has decided to broadcast it over the airwaves or something?
You are most likely hearing IFB. Interruptible feedback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jfhtm350

Huh. Never thought of something like that. I would say when the traffic report comes on the radio station or the news report comes on the tv station one, I will know if this is the case. I need to find out which tv station it is.

I have to have my scanner sitting in the right spot in the house to pick it up. Never tried it outdoors.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar question, which I posted in this forum about a month ago. Look up "remote broadcasting"

ilgrant

The frequencies that cable television uses run through the bands that most scanners can receive. A poor or unterminated connection may result in picking up some cable tv intereference if they are still sending analog down the cable.

jfhtm350

I definately get commercials in both of them. They will play some then cut off a min and then resume. I know one of them is coming from radio station 103.5. The one I thought was a tv station is "The Sports Animal", I think that is what he said, which I have never heard of that. It must be a radio station too, I guess.

RadioDaze

Since there's usually at least a 7-second delay when broadcasting, and sometimes upwards of 15 seconds, it's very hard for traffic reporters who are contracted by various stations to cue up their reports at the right moment. These real-time feeds let them hit their mark. Same for field reporters.

On talk radio shows, it's a fun way to catch things like callers who swear on the air, before it gets dumped during the delay.

n4yek

161.73 is South Central Media's Remote Pick-up frequency. They own WIMZ.
ULS License - Broadcast Auxiliary Remote Pickup License - KJP975 - SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION
The Other frequency was probably this:
ULS License - Broadcast Auxiliary Remote Pickup License - KSF825 - SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION - Frequencies Summary
Which is another South Central Media Remote Pick up, yes I know it's not the exact same frequency but it is close enough that your scanner would be able to pick it up without distortion.

jfhtm350

Yes you are right. I can pick up 450.1500 but i get a little better signal on 450.14375 for some reason. That is why my scanner's stopped on that odd frequency because of the zeromatic feature, I'm guessing. That one comes in most of the time. 161.7300 just comes and goes. Dont know if they have it turned off or just a little out of range.

I cant find the 450.1500 one on a FM/AM radio to see what it is. Of course I have a FM/AM alarm clock radio so I dont expect much out of it. Ha.

jfhtm350

Well I guess that pretty much sums up my question. Thanks everyone. Radio Shack scanners dont have a news search range.

ScanningRadio

As of today. I picked up a NBC news feed. The first thing I thought was. How am I picking up a news feed when all TV is digital not analog. Then, I thought. Maybe my scanner is digital after all. But, then I come to this thread and find out it might be remote news feeds. I had no idea that the news anchor's wireless headset could be heard for miles and miles around. lol.

Last edited:

ScanningRadio

As I was writing all this. I picked up another news feed, FOX. And it is the whole channel, not just news. They seem to all be in the 400 MHZ area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.