Radio antenna installers in ct

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMA

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend an antenna installer in the Meriden/Middlesex area? I just moved into our new house and the roof is pretty high up there (40 feet). I need to install my trusty SIRIO discone SD1300 for scanning and transmission purposes. I've spent hours Googling installers and all I get are deadends (either satellite tv deals or commercial/government radio communication companies).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

73s

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Good question,I was wondering if there were any antenna/tower installers in CT to.

mayidunk

You might also check with Lentini Communications in Newington. 860-828-8005 - 800-666-0908

55engine

Premium Subscriber
lentini

lentini is in berlin on christian lane talk to bill or alex thay good
open mon-friday 10 to 6 pm sat 9 to 1

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Lentini moved a few years back to Berlin. You have to watch for their sing on Christian Street cause they are in the back building with a few other companies. Still the great little place it always has been

Good guys, always ask Alex and Bill for advise when I go up.

JMA

Found installer in connecticut!

Hello All,

Wanted to report I found an awesome licensed installer, David, of Connect Tech Inc. in Connecticut. Dave's number is (860) 637-0628 and his email is connecttek@att.net.

David is a licensed antenna installer, but also does other types of tech work. David and his assistant installed my Sirio SD1300 discone antenna (and a small directional "E-Z HD" antenna with amplifier) this past Saturday.
He was on time, courteous, professional and meticulous in his work-product.

As noted, the installation consisted of mounting my SD1300 on a 10 ft. mast on the tallest roof eave, which is about 40 feet high. It was fun watching and helping out during the install. I have attached a few pictures of the final product.

The SD1300 is 15 years old (of which 14 has been in storage). It is primarily a receiving antenna, but it is also designed for transmission in the 2 meter / 70 cm bands (and the 23 cm band as well) albeit with no (or very little) gain. The SD1300 transmits in the GMRS and MURS frequencies too.

I am in Middletown and can now hit repeaters located as far as New London, Manchester and Bristol with my 3 watt Yaesu VX-3R. My primary interest, however, is general monitoring and low power simplex communications in 2 meters, 70 cm and MURS. This is why I opted for a discone, instead of several dedicated antennae for all these different frequencies.

Back to the topic, I am grateful for Dave's work and will be working with him again in the near future on my next project involving a 10 meter antenna and perhaps a video camera surveillance system.

73s

Attachments

• VX-3R.jpg
    VX-3R.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,577
  • INSTALL 1.jpg
    INSTALL 1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,030
  • INSTALL 2.jpg
    INSTALL 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,986
  • FEEDTHROUGH PANEL.jpg
    FEEDTHROUGH PANEL.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 5,651

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Installer

What does he charge? Does he work on towers and HF antennas? I usually use XX Towers Matt Strelow.

It looks like the cable has an F connector, what cable are you using? F connectors are meant for 75 ohm use and if the cable is RG6 then you have an impedance mis-match; something your HT may not like.

Last edited:

JMA

Connector Type / Type of Work

mlevinedc: Give me some credit! It's not an F connector. It's a PL-259 (see closeup). Cable is low loss Davis Bury Flex. The multi-SO-239 feedthrough panel is from MFJ.

The installer's rates were reasonable and are based on the complexity of the job, including height of antenna, etc. Dave does commercial work but I don't think he does towers, though I may be wrong. (I don't believe he is a ham.) I am confident he can do traditional antenna installations though.

Shoot him an email and find out for sure.

JMA

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,412

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Hey there.
I have the same Antenna and like you mine has been in storage too... believe it or not for just about the same time! Mine has the name D130J... i suspect that yours might be by another company or a newer vintage.

The Install looks like a fine job. I really Dig the window work looks good to me. I zoomed in on the cable and the Connector but it was fuzzy so i could not make out what kind it was.

Best of luck!
73'

JMA

Sd1300 - d130j

Thanks for the comments.

@giguchan: Yes, both discones are fairly similar. Yours is by Diamond Antenna; mine is by Sirio Antenne, an Italian company. I bought mine from a U.S. Dealer around 1996 via catalog--there was very little ordering online back in those days!

ICOM and AOR manufacture similar wideband discones as well--all usually covering 25-1300 Mhz, more or less.

JMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.