Radio audio of Chinese spy balloon shoot down

Dog

This is radio related and not political. If this fits better in a different section please move it.

Transcript of transmissions below:

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how easy it was? They are going mach 1.3 and trying to hit something that likely has a small radar profile and by comparison is stationary. Probably no significant heat source.

Token

I wonder how easy it was? They are going mach 1.3 and trying to hit something that likely has a small radar profile and by comparison is stationary. Probably no significant heat source.

The AIM-9X is an imaging seeker. Yes, it happens to use IR wavelengths, but all it needs is contrast, not a lot of heat. And the IR realm is a world of contrast. They appear to have been shooting up slightly at the balloon, but even if not, the balloon against the cold blue sky would have had significant contrast, even if only by solar reflection. Think about it, your eye can see the outline of the balloon, why wouldn't an imaging seeker be able to?

Lets have an example of IR and contrast. The following IR image is the carpeted floor of the hallway of my old house. The footprints are my youngest daughters footprints from walking down the hallway a minute or so before. Just by placing her feet on each point for a second or less at a normal walking pace she, very slightly, changed the temperature where her feet landed. This image is the result. I would say "Probably no significant heat source", but still able to be imaged.
16789180.Footprints.jpg

With this kind of contrast an imaging tracker could easily make out each footprint as a target with clearly defined edges.

The days of requiring a hot afterburner flare to be tracked by an IR missile are long gone. Even the temperature difference of the heating by air friction on the leading edges of the wings are, and have been for quite a while, enough.

T!

RFI-EMI-GUY

The callsign "Frank01" is interesting, also. Frank Luke, Jr. was known as the "Arizona Balloon Buster". He shot down 16 German reconnaissance balloons during WWI, making him an ace. He also earned the Medal of Honor, and got an Air Force Base named after him.
I think there was a backup Frank02 and perhaps a third aircraft with weapons armed. They were not letting it get away from the "box". I wonder if there was any concern some "unfreindlies" might join the party?

Token

I think there was a backup Frank02 and perhaps a third aircraft with weapons armed. They were not letting it get away from the "box". I wonder if there was any concern some "unfreindlies" might join the party?

I think it was more of a case of wanting to plant the remains were it could be investigated easily. Off the coast, in US territorial waters and airspace so there is no question, in a controlled area with no one under it to get hurt, and in shallow water so it could be retrieved.

Realistically, there are no unfriendlies that could have joined the party. Were was such an unfriendly going to come from? What was such an unfreindly going to do, watch?

T!

rescuecomm

Since we let a foreign nation's intelligence gathering balloon float across the whole country, who's to say Russian TU-95's from Cuba might fly up unchallenged? Or maybe they are laughing at us from Cuba to Moscow.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Frank02 was the wingman. There were also 2 F-15's, Eagle01 & Eagle 02, one of which used its targeting pod to "paint the target" for the Raptor. There were also at least a couple of KC-135 tankers in the area to refuel the fighters.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Since we let a foreign nation's intelligence gathering balloon float across the whole country, who's to say Russian TU-95's from Cuba might fly up unchallenged? Or maybe they are laughing at us from Cuba to Moscow.
But we gathered counterintelligence pretty much the whole time. There were U-2's, RC-135's, and EC-130's around it. I also read that "non-kinetic means" were used to prevent the balloon from gathering any intel while over "sensitive areas". And now we have the thing in our possession, so there is all manner of intel to be gathered from what's left of it.

sprman1955

Heard them tracking it here in TN at 9pm cst on 136.275 op asked other op if he was tracking it on the other freq.Op replied yes.Op then said he was going back to other freq.No call signs were used nor were any location or anything given.