Radio Canada International shortwave to end

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
RCI // RCI slashed

Spending cuts announced last week in Canada's latest federal budget have reached Radio Canada International. Speaking to employees at RCI's headquarters in Montreal on Wednesday, RCI director Helene Parent declared that two out of three RCI employees---about 40 people---will lose their jobs by the end of July. RCI's Russian and Portugueuse sections will be closed along with the English and French-language newsrooms. All shortwave broadcasts will cease as well. RCI will continue to exist solely on the Internet in five languages---English, French, Arabic, Spanish and Mandarin.

w2xq

Mentor
That's a shame. Was there any additional announcement one way or the other about the relay broadcasts for R Japan and CRI? I can't imagine those foreign broadcasters would want to underwrite the total cost of running and maintaining the Sackville transmitters.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not 100%, but I thought the DRM Broadcasts originated out of Sackville?

How unfortunate. I really loved listening to external service programs from many nations when I was a kid. It taught me that there were many perspectives, and that each one of them was "right" to their own people. I've been to other countries and tried to navigate to some familiar websites. I suppose the Internet feed proponents have never been abroad, typed in a URL and had a censored message pop up advising that the "benevolent" king, prince, sheik, or whatever does not find that website suitable for entry to his country.

Status
Not open for further replies.