• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio can't be heard by others

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadobas

I have a funny situation. The radio (PD662) is set up with several channels. Some channels use 1 repeater, some other channels use another repeater. So, on fringe areas, where signal starts fading out, using channel 1 which uses repeater 1, if I'm out of range, I can't key up the repeater, and the radio shows something like "Channel busy", or something similar. In other words, it's telling me (correctly), that the repeater is not reachable.

But when I switch to channel 2, which uses repeater 2, it doesn't give me this error. It transmits, like there is no problem reaching the repeater. But noone else can hear what is being said. In fact noone else's radio unmutes. They just sit and wait for the next person to say something. If I then step outside to get a better signal to/from the repeater, and push the PTT, the transmitting radio transmits, and now the receiving radios unmute, as expected, and the transmission can be heard. So the problem is that somehow on the fringe area, the transmitting radio thinks it's hitting the repeater, but it in real world, doesn't seem like it. So it should either give an error, or the transmission is lost somewhere else.

Repeater 1 and repeater 2 are on the same roof, and I did this test about 4-5 miles out from the repeaters. Indoors I experienced the problem on channel 2 with repeater 2. Just stepping outside solved the problem. On channel one (with repeater 1), indoors I get an error (as expected) on the radio when I try to transmit, and stepping outside, it works fine.

The expected behavior is that on both channel 1 (with repeater 1) and channel 2 (and repeater 2), indoors I should get an error on the transmitting radio, and outdoors, the transmission should go through. But what I get is channel 1 is doing it, channel 2 doesn't give an error indoors. It transmits, but others don't get the transmission.

Not sure what could it be. On the radios. I checked channel 1 against channel 2. and the only difference is that abviously, they are on a different frequency pair,, so that they use different repeaters, and the group contact is different. All other parameters are the same.

I didn't check the programming of the 2 repeaters, so I'm not sure if that will be different or not. Any advice where to look?

N5XPM

I have a funny situation. The radio (PD662) is set up with several channels. Some channels use 1 repeater, some other channels use another repeater. So, on fringe areas, where signal starts fading out, using channel 1 which uses repeater 1, if I'm out of range, I can't key up the repeater, and the radio shows something like "Channel busy", or something similar. In other words, it's telling me (correctly), that the repeater is not reachable.

But when I switch to channel 2, which uses repeater 2, it doesn't give me this error. It transmits, like there is no problem reaching the repeater. But noone else can hear what is being said. In fact noone else's radio unmutes. They just sit and wait for the next person to say something. If I then step outside to get a better signal to/from the repeater, and push the PTT, the transmitting radio transmits, and now the receiving radios unmute, as expected, and the transmission can be heard. So the problem is that somehow on the fringe area, the transmitting radio thinks it's hitting the repeater, but it in real world, doesn't seem like it. So it should either give an error, or the transmission is lost somewhere else.

Repeater 1 and repeater 2 are on the same roof, and I did this test about 4-5 miles out from the repeaters. Indoors I experienced the problem on channel 2 with repeater 2. Just stepping outside solved the problem. On channel one (with repeater 1), indoors I get an error (as expected) on the radio when I try to transmit, and stepping outside, it works fine.

The expected behavior is that on both channel 1 (with repeater 1) and channel 2 (and repeater 2), indoors I should get an error on the transmitting radio, and outdoors, the transmission should go through. But what I get is channel 1 is doing it, channel 2 doesn't give an error indoors. It transmits, but others don't get the transmission.

Not sure what could it be. On the radios. I checked channel 1 against channel 2. and the only difference is that abviously, they are on a different frequency pair,, so that they use different repeaters, and the group contact is different. All other parameters are the same.

I didn't check the programming of the 2 repeaters, so I'm not sure if that will be different or not. Any advice where to look?
If you provide the repeater receive and transmit
frequencies, folks might be able to help confirm correct programming on the 662.

A fellow tech ran into a problem where a repeater with low signal strength would send carrier detect but not unmute the RX audio, which caused the voting receiver system to repeat that perfectly quiet signal.
Assuming your radio has identical settings other than freqs it seems the problem is the repeater. It must be transmitting carrier only which your radio sees.

Hytera has an RSSI setting in the channel tab but this is related to roaming, it's grayed out in conventional mode.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Channel busy means your tx admit criteria is set to channel free. If its saying channel busy that means someone els is on that repeater in analog or that time slot is in use. If you change it to ALWAYS allow and try again see if it goes away.
If your out of range it will says "wake up fail" or something similar

You runnin in analog or digital? If digital you have all radios set for a specific time slot or in pseudo? Trying to talk to all hyteras or some motorolas in the mix too? Iv found if you have send talker alias on and your talking to motorola radios it some times messes up and the motorolas wont hear you.

phadobas

These are all Hytera radios. They are all in digital mode and use pseudo trunking. The admit criteria is set to "channel free". The original problem is that in fringe area, when I push the PTT button, the radio doesn't give any error (like "failed to wake repeater" or "channel busy"). It happily transmits. But noone gets the transmission. Noone un-mutes.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Try updating the firmware maybe? Think older firmware radios had some issue like that. Would give the ready to talk tone on a repeater channel even if it wasnt connecting to the repeater.

Never been a big fan of the 6 series so maybe thats part of the issue also

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Try updating the firmware maybe? Think older firmware radios had some issue like that. Would give the ready to talk tone on a repeater channel even if it wasnt connecting to the repeater.

Never been a big fan of the 6 series so maybe thats part of the issue also

They hadn’t quite perfected all the stolen MSI IP yet I guess.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.