Radio Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctadam12

Just a reminder that radio checks are to be done on channel 9 and NOT 16! Also, the Coast Guard DOES NOT conduct radio checks!! Leave the USCG alone unless you are reporting an emergency, environmental, suspect activity, etc.. Thanks, and be safe on the water.

setag4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you

That is correct. Intelligent, knowledgeable true yachtsman know you do not conduct radio checks on 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Harry D Gates
M/V Myton's Choice

ctadam12

Firefighter, Yes, that is why it is called the hailing and distress channel for exactly that reason. Thanks

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"could you ask another vessle to go to a working channel first on 16 to ask for a radio check?"

Sure, if he responds your radio is working, no need to switch channels. (;->)

If you monitor 16 like I do you'll hear the dumbest stuff imaginable, happy fourth and have a good laugh with all the numbskulls you'll hear on holidays and weekends.

Radio check?
I bought mine cash.
It's working.
I've got mine last I looked.
Check your hat, check your coat, but leave your radio in the boat.
(I like that one, it rhymes.)
Did you drop it in the head? It sounds like crap.
Uh, it looks like a radio.
You want a radio check? Pay for it yourself!
AR! He's got a RADIO mateys. Heave to and prepare to be boarded. R R R!
Who's that Pokemon?

car2back

ctadam12 said:
....the Coast Guard DOES NOT conduct radio checks!! Leave the USCG alone unless you are reporting an emergency, environmental, suspect activity, etc.. Thanks, and be safe on the water.

Kind of like the retard that should have not just called 911 in Kiefer, OK to ask what time the fire works display is tonight! :roll:

kb2vxa, My favorite is when some Kellyville redneck, I mean Volunteer firefighter gets on the County SO side here and asks "Can I get a radio check?" and I reply "FD-03, yeah that ones your radio, any think else I can help you with today while you are transmitting unliscensed on our Frequency?"

End of brodcast, KCU832

Last edited:

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
"could you ask another vessle to go to a working channel first on 16 to ask for a radio check?"

Sure, if he responds your radio is working, no need to switch channels. (;->)

If you monitor 16 like I do you'll hear the dumbest stuff imaginable, happy fourth and have a good laugh with all the numbskulls you'll hear on holidays and weekends.

Radio check?
I bought mine cash.
It's working.
I've got mine last I looked.
Check your hat, check your coat, but leave your radio in the boat.
(I like that one, it rhymes.)
Did you drop it in the head? It sounds like crap.
Uh, it looks like a radio.
You want a radio check? Pay for it yourself!
AR! He's got a RADIO mateys. Heave to and prepare to be boarded. R R R!
Who's that Pokemon?

there is always a comedian in every group.........................:)

DPD1

Improper use of 16 is probably the least of the USCG's worries in the SoCal area... They get fake distress calls daily in this region. Especially on a day like today, I'm sure there will be numerous fake calls. I've heard a few myself, and it's astonishing that grown adults will stoop to actually yelling "help mayday" into their radio, and saying in a fake distressed voice that their boat is sinking. I guess getting to listen to the announcements for the next few hours is their idea of entertainment.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, MURS, GMRS, & Ham Antennas -

hill

Premium Subscriber
Uncorrelated maydays are a problem CG wide and this takes resources away from real distress cases. Until proving to be false the CG considers all maydays as an actual case.
The bad part is when false calls come in at the same time frame as real calls. Many false calls aren’t on the water, but using a radio on land. Hopefully the equipment in Coast Guard’s new Rescue 21 System will better help to find these violators.

Larry

ctadam12

I actually had to break up fights last night on watch on 16. But yes Rescue 21 is VERY Slowly making its way online. The new system enables us two get a fix on just a 2 sec. mic click and then displays the GPS coordinates. It really works too! It also improves gaps in coverage by installing more high sites in some locations. But yes, all our high sites will have direction finding equipment to pinpoint the location of a distress call.

you can find out more by going to the rescue 21 web site. http://www.uscg.mil/rescue21/home/index.htm

DPD1

Wow... I didn't know about this. I always wondered if they had, or would get, something like that at some point. Sounds great. Not only for catching the knuckle heads, but also finding the real distress calls... Or at least having a good starting point.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, MURS, GMRS, & Ham Antennas -

Status
Not open for further replies.