Radio Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

yotux

Hello:

I am new to the hobby. I have been talking with people in my area.

I have been told that a dual band unit would help me out allot in Wisconsin.

I have found two radios I am considering:

Icom ID-880H

and

Yaesu FT-8900R

I would like to get into D-Star a some point in time but not sure this is that time.

Could anyone offer a newbie some advice on which is a better unit. Sorry if the brand names start a flame war....

Thank you for anyones help in advance.

Nathan M. KC9SCG

fyrfyter33

Go for the FT-8900R over the ID-880H. Within a short amount of time, you will quickly realize how much more important, dual band, V+V or V+U is. I have an IC-208H, (About the same as the 880, minus the D-Star), and I have quickly figured out, how much more sense it would have made for me to get a dual band radio, and just grow into using multiple frequencies at once. Oh well, live and learn. Now, I am looking for a Dual Band, and going to move the IC-208H, into the house. I am considering an IC-2820H, with the UT123. While I still believe D-Star is in its infancy, I think due to certain Ham Radio responsibilities I now have, and the fact that we have 2 nearby D-Star setups, I should probably be able to access that system, and like I said, Dual Band V+V, or V+U, is also what I am looking for. Determine what your needs/wants are, and go from there.

yotux

Needs / Wants

I am looking to join the local ARES/ RACES team in my area. D-Star seem really cool and could have some good features but I think that the FT-8900R is the way that I would like to start. I can always upgrade later and get into more tools and toys.

Thank you for your help and feedback.

Nathan

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'll second the FT-8900 suggestion. It's a much more capable radio, in spite of the lack of D-Star. It also has 440, 6 and 10 meters, although as a Tech, you don't have privileges in the 10 meter FM segment, you do on 6 meters.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't suggest "dumb-star" but then that's just me. Both the Icom and Yaesu are nice radios.
73's!
n9zas

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend the ICOM 2820H. It's a great radio and you can buy the D-Star board for it when you are ready. If price is a consideration I would go with the Yaseu FT-8800, another great dual band.

Jim, NS3K

SCPD

QRT
D-Star, APCO25, MotorTrbo, etc

First question to ask before you buy a digital radio:
"Is there actually any activity around me?"
If no one has a D-Star or APCO25 machine up that you can hit, think hard if it's really worth the extra money.

yotux

D-Star

The radio club that I just joined last Tuesday has a D-Star repeater. I still think that I would rather go with the FT-8900R. Its a little more in my price range. The 2820H form Icom start around $600.00 I think.

The $450 is something that I can justify for me to start my new hobby.

Thankz for all of the replies everyone.

Nathan Murray

fyrfyter33

Sounds like you've made a decision. Congratulations. Yep, the cheapest I have found the 2820 for is $560, and another $270 for the UT123 module.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at adding another dual band to my shack. If I had more of a need, I would really look hard at the 880. we only have 1 d-star system in the area (about 60 miles from my home). The local club is strictly fm. I wish it had dual watch/ cross-band repeat, but I could live without it.

My next radio will most likely be a kenwood tm-v71. Free programming software(like the id-880), easy to build programming cable( I already have one for my 710). 1,000 memories and cross-band repeat. I have the yaesu 7800, which has been a good radio.

Good luck,

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.