radio codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

hi
when i am listening to my scanner, and i hear different code, i then look them up. I saw the 10-98 means assignment complete. COuldnt they just say 10-8?

SLWilson

Why are your posts all here twice?

I'm seeing your posts twice. Any inea why that is? Steve

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
10-8 may be the "in service" code in your area, but unfortunately, 10-codes are not universal throughout the country (or from one jurisdiction to the next). Therefore, whichever agency you're listening to probably uses 10-98 for in service.

Just another argument for clear-text! :p

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Might be a question to post in the California forum then, maybe some of the locals can shed light on this....

dangitdoug

10-98 generally means Task or Call completed.
10-8 means In Service.
They are used differently. A good example is after a unit has completed a redio call, he may say 10-98 but no necessarily be back in service (10-8). The officer may still have to complete paper on the call and not return to service right away.

Another example is a beginning of shift, most officers have to log-on and notify dispatch that they are 10-8 to begin their day. You can see that 10-98 would not be proper use here.

Keep listening, it will actually begin to make sense to you.

Dougm K

aguyindallas

In Denton County, TX 10-8 means available....

10-98 I think means arrest history is about to be read to the officer. Generally it will go like this....

Dispatch: XXXX(unit number) 10-98, 10-30

My understanding is the arrest history is coming ala 10-98, and I think 10-30 means to make sure the radio is secure and its ok for dispatch to recite the arrest history.

nexus

Over here at my department Biloxi MS Police Department 10-98 isn't used, but 10-99 is all units respond.

10-98 might mean "assignment complete" which is totally different from 10-8 "in service"

You only go 10-8 once on your shift, and that is when you're basically "on the clock and working" your tour of duty. Officers don't go 10-7 and 10-8 for each assignment. Over here 10-24 means assignment complete. And usually also means I'm available for more calls.

landonjensen

"Officers don't go 10-7 and 10-8 for each assignment"

Well in arcadia they say 10-8 , and ussaly it sounds like they me available. and then when they say 98, it confuses me, then a couple minutes it will be - ***(call #)- 10-8 Dispatch - 10-4
so then im wondering huh>????
and they do use 10-7 for some things

cellblock776

Before Iberville Parish Fire departments switched from 10 codes to Plain talk to comply with NIMS I worked for St Gabriel FD. It was SOP to finish up a call, get in the truck and notify dispatch that "all units are 10-8, 10-98, 10-19." Translation- "all units back in service, ready for next assignment and eroute back to the stations". Upon arrival at the Stations we notified dispatch, "All units 10-10" = "all units back in house".
As I mentioned, Iberville Parish FDs are no longer using 10 codes per Iberville Parish OEP complying with NIMS standards.

DickH

landonjensen said:
"Officers don't go 10-7 and 10-8 for each assignment"

Well in arcadia they say 10-8 , and ussaly it sounds like they me available. and then when they say 98, it confuses me, then a couple minutes it will be - ***(call #)- 10-8 Dispatch - 10-4
so then im wondering huh>????
and they do use 10-7 for some things

Have you heard 10-66 yet?
It means, "Wiggle your Squelch because there is bird-crap on your antenna".

RISC777

BoxAlarm187 said:
Might be a question to post in the California forum then, maybe some of the locals can shed light on this....

True, I know a gentleman already compiling a list from multiple lists. If he's not signed up here and reading/posting, I'll email him and see if he'd like to share. I had a rough draft (in Excel's .xls format), but misplaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.