• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachSmith

I've been trying to find a "dispatch" type of console or something similar to mount my scanners and radios in for my shack. I've seen some pictures of this but cannot find anything pre made. I could build my own, but would much prefer to by something made of a metal. Basically a Jotto desk would work, but I want something rectangular rather than designed for a vehicle.

Something similar to this picture http://assets.wnec.edu/29/dispatch.jpg
is what I'm interested in. Any help is appreciated.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Those are computer controled consoles, those are newer and can be very expensive, i have seen people use Centracom consoles and Command Plus consoles by motorola, you need an actual radio to interface to the console, i hope this helps

ZachSmith

I've seen some of those but I'm just basically looking for a console to physically hold the radios. Not do anything further as far as communications.

Murstech

Probably just gonna have to scour ebay daily untill you can find something made by Bud Cabinets.
There might be computer consoles too. I would do a general search for a 19 inch rackmount console.
It might take months or even years untill something perfect comes up on ebay. There might be Broadcast Consoles that are "blank" available too.. I dont know.
Anyway.. Heres aneat website:
Transmitter and Studio Equipment Archive
They have alot of pictures of old consoles to get ideas from.
This is the cabinet Im building:
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/Gates-Ambassador.jpg
See how the back is curved? How easy is that to make? A flat piece of sheetmetal thin
enough to form itself around the sides as you screw it together.

kb0vkt

RE: Dispatch radio consoles

well this is my 2 cents worth.

Since alot of agencies are switching over to newer technology they have to redesign there
dispatch consoles and so there will be alot of used consoles for sale.
i would say most of your small counties are going to have to redesign there dispatch centers
and will have to get rid of there old consoles.

i would contact your local agency and see what kind of consoles they use and if
they plan on upgrading. sometimes by just asking you might be surprised.
its not like there's 100 people in line wanting this stuff.
in the future as more and more agencies migrate together to have 1 dispatch center
for many counties they will no longer need all them consoles.

Check ebay/craigslist there might be some for sale, also go to your local
county/city auctions they might have stuff you can get very cheap. you will be surprised
what you can find at them auctions. these agencies are sitting on alot of used equipment
and the taxpayer never questions where it goes.

with all this newer technology these state/county/city agencies will have tons of radios,
dispatch consoles,radar units, etc etc for sale.

trooperdude

Database Admin
In addition to the used dispatch consoles, there are a LOT of pro-audio and video studio consoles out there that have the rack mounts built in.

Most available for pennies on the $$ in bankruptcy sales.

Used market is pretty cheap if you look around.

Easy then to take a rack blank, jigsaw it out to fit a mobile faceplate like Troy, and you can easily rack 4 mobiles in a 4 U rackmount blank.

I got my centracom consles for free if I promised to come load them and take them away on a certain date, when a local city upgraded their dispatch positions.

I got two complete dispatch positions w/ electronics, and the corner pieces, including the dictaphone recorders and interfaces, and the headset interface boxes.

It wasn't worth the haul-away and storage costs to the contractor to try and get a used $$ price for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.