Radio Deployment On New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Home :: Community :: Sports :: Churches :: Opinions :: Lifestyles :: For Sale :: Contact Us :: Obituaries :: Archives Search

Headlines

Radio Deployment Begins On New Radio System

Over 2,000 radios, $ 12 million dollar investment
Viewed: 827 Times

Written By: Rickey Stokes
E-mail:thehoustonnewspaper@yahoo.com
Phone:(334)790-1729
Date:04/07/2008

DOTHAN: The implementation is underway.
A project that has been several years in the making is becoming a reality today.

Dothan Police Chief John Powell and city staff has been working on a new $ 12 million dollar radio system for the City of Dothan. Efforts are also underway to bring Houston County into the same system.

The old system of the City of Dothan had many dead areas. That is places Police, Fire and Dothan workforce were unable to use their radios. The new system is designed to eliminate those areas of dead spots.

Chief Powell has worked on national and state grants to help purchase the system. He has worked with Nextel on a mandated rebanding program to get a lot of equipment at no cost. Powell even got a construction addition to the radio shop to handle the change over. He has been twisting arms, begging and laying out plans for financial assistance.

Helping on a national level has been Congressman Terry Everett and on a state level Senator Harri Anne Smith. The Alabama Homeland Security has kicked in some financial assistance.

The new system has three radio tower sites…the city shop, Westgate Park, and the Waste water treatment plant on Helms Road. The Motorola system has their own generators and complete operational systems at all sites. It was very impressive when we took the tour of the system.

When someone presses the mic on the radio, the computer looks at the three tower sites, makes a decision which site and the radio transmission is made. All within seconds where the user does to realize what has taken place.

The staff of the radio shop has been working hard for months. They have been involved in the installation of the system, learning all of the bells and whistles. Then when the over 2,000 radios arrived, the have looked at each piece of equipment, had the Finance Department assist with inventory, mark each piece of equipment, the program each piece of equipment.

Today the staff started the task of exchanging the old for the new. Both the old system and new system are broadcast together, bridged, so the transition is as seamless as possible. Those with old equipment and to=hose with new still talk together, until all equipment is exchanged.

The radio shop staff begins taking each vehicle in the city, exchanging the mounted radios for the new equipment. By the time they finish, they will be able to do in their sleep.

Chief Powell and the staff have planned for months for today’s implementation. It seemed to work well today.

Good job!

New tower site at radio shop

Boxes of new radios, everywhere at the shop

More boxes of radios

Randy at the radio shop

Inventory work

Finance Department conducting inventory

Ward Bell staff programming radios

A mobile unit

A portable unit

CSI helping inventory

And more radios

Generator for radio tower site

The brains building. Can't show inside. But, WOW!

Joey at the radio shop

A new installed radio in a fire vehicle

Hosting Provided By Express Web Systems.
Copyright © 2007, Rickey Stokes. All Rights Reserved.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
All that at the bottom must be where pictures were. I don't know why that was posted. :confused:

SCPD

QRT
WhenI copied and pasted the article the pictures did not transfer. Sorry, you can go to the website listed in the other post to see the pictures.

Steve

What frequencies are they using now, the ones listed in the DB or did they add any more?
If memory serves me, they had 10 frequencies for the old system.
Also has anyone tried listening to the "new" control channel?
Again if memory serves me, the new system is going to be P25.
Even if encryption is used, it will be nice to maybe "track" the system instead of doing the MultiNet "method".

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

SCPD

QRT
They are using the same and have both systems bridged together. I guess they will change after the system is fully emplemented. Then as I understand, it wil no longer be monitorable.

Steve

Wayne,

Any more inforamtion on the new Dothan system?
Has the control channel(s) for the new system become active?
And if it/they are active, are they 3600 or indeed 9600?

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

listen96

Dothan Frequencies

Dothan turned off their old LTR system this past Wednesday. I have a Pro-96 and have been able to pick up some of their transmissions on the following frequencies: 854.8375, 853.1250, 854.3125, 852.8500, 854.0375, 810.6375, and 810.9125. I am new to programming trunked systems and am not sure how to figure out which channel is the control channel. If anyone has anymore info. please pass it on.

SCPD

QRT
Listen96, just make sure you have all the control channels programmed and set to MO mode if its its motorola. . also if P25 & rebanded check the the motorola forum sticky here on RR for rebanding info ( special tables) that need to be set up
Good luck
Paul
hmm looking this over something does'nt look right.. some1 correct me if I goofed up??:p
edit edit... if its P25 100% ( 9600 baud control channels) you will not need the tables other wise if Motorola ( 3600 baud) & has any ANALOG talk groups at all you will need the tables

Sundays mornings are tough haha, if this doesn't help holler again lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.