Radio Equipment 6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0TGO

I am new to Ham Radio I was looking for help to purchase a 6m radio that I could use with my new technician license . Does any one have any recommendations about what radio to buy and a simple antenna as well . I really want to talk on 6m at home or in the field while QRP .

N8IAA

I am new to Ham Radio I was looking for help to purchase a 6m radio that I could use with my new technician license . Does any one have any recommendations about what radio to buy and a simple antenna as well . I really want to talk on 6m at home or in the field while QRP .

FM/SSB? Most current 6m radios only do FM.
Larry

N0TGO

6m info

I'm sorry i didn't say what i meant , yes i know most new 6m radios have FM only . I'm looking for suggestions for SSB & CW .

Joe,N0TGO

kd4eaq

Premium Subscriber
I use the Yaesu FT-857D all mode for 6M SSB. Ranger makes a 6M SSB radio. Most of the HFmobile rigs have 6M in them (SSB & FM).

N0TGO

Thank you very much for the info , gives me more options then the Alinco DR-06T that i bought by mistake by not doing more research before i bought that radio which only does FM no SSB or CW .

N8IAA

Try the Yaesu FT-817D. True QRP rig. Run it on batteries. Tons of antennas for this radio. Cheaper than the 897 and more portable.
Larry

prcguy

The 817 is a good little QRP rig, but if its the only thing you have for 6m you will want more power someday. Then you would need an amplifier, larger battery and the size and cost is now way past an FT-857. I had an FT-817 and sold it because my FT-857 is not much bigger and will do QRP through 100w on 6m.

The Icom 706MKIIG is also a good mobile radio, but not for portable work on batteries, it draws almost 2 amps just receiving and that has a huge impact on battery life. The FT-897 is an FT-857 in a larger and much heavier case but otherwise works the same as an 857.

For the ultimate portable/QRP radio on HF/6m look at the Elecraft KX3. It will do 10w on HF and a little less on 6m and its battery life on AA cells is amazing, much longer than an FT-817. The 817 draws maybe 600ma on receive and the KX3 is less than 200ma, but it has a world class receiver that beats multi thousand $$ radios in performance. The KX3 also has an internal antenna tuner option and the basic radio is maybe 50% more than an 817 but the performance and features are light years ahead of it.
prcguy

Try the Yaesu FT-817D. True QRP rig. Run it on batteries. Tons of antennas for this radio. Cheaper than the 897 and more portable.
Larry

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Second the KX3 recommendation. K3 for the home shack, and KX3 for portable, stationary mobile, etc.

When 6 meters is open, it is open and often you don't need much in the way of power to work just about all you can hear...bigger antennas and higher power allow you to work stations at the end of the openings, often when most of us are no longer hearing anything.

That said, if you want a 6 mtr only rig, check out the MFJ 9406. For such a simple rig, and often found used for around $200 you can't beat it. It was my first 6 mtr rig, and as I said, when the band is open, you can work 'em with this little box. I kept it for years and loaned it to others when they wanted to get their feet wet on 6!. Combined with a simple loop or homebrew hard dipole, it was a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.