radio for hunting numbers stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearboy666

ive become interested in hunting down numbers stations that play over the shortwave frequencies. ive managed to capture a few, like the backwards music station, and a spanish lady speaking numbers through internet controlled radios. what id like to do is by a cheap receiver (anywhere from 20-50 dollars) that will be able to pick up the necessary bands and modes. i know that numbers stations are on the fringes of the bands and im not sure what kind of radio to get because of this. one i have looked at is the grundig G8 traveller 2. any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

For that price, I like my Kaito 1103 - all I have is a long wire hooked up to it, I am able to pick up a few number stations. However, it does not compare to my R75 - but I paid $500 for the radio. The Kaito 1103, was recommended to me by many shortwave listeners and hams. I tried a few others, and I liked the KA1103 the best, that is just my opinion. Good luck in your hunt, there are some great websites out there including this one Spy Numbers Stations Shortwave Radio - click on the database link, and share your findings.

gearboy666

thanks man, that really helps a bunch. since im tight on money it looks like ill have to continue using internet controlled recievers for my endevors. but i really like hunting them. is there at all a subforum on these boards for number stations specifically? i have some basic questions that google hasnt been to straight forward about answering.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's because there's nothing straightforward about numbers stations - although it's been a generally accepted axiom that they are stations sending messages to agents using one time pads, no one has been able (at least in the public forum) to decode the messages - they remain a mystery to this day.

Our wiki has several links on the subject - however the one site that everyone mentions is the Numbers and Oddities website -

Pirates and Clandestines - The RadioReference Wiki

and don't let the prologue on the page fool you. In some countries, folks literally risk death to get messages out in this manner.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.