Radio frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmleh522

I am new to radios. I know ham radios require license to talk but you can monitor it without a license and can’5t pick up trunked? Frequencies. If i finds a how do i know is it is trunked or not. I know most agency uses digital trunk now. I am trying to listen to local pd or fire. I live in queen creek area so trying to listen to maricopa county sheriffs.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the world of radio monitoring. To answer your questions yes you do need a license to transmit on ham/amateur frequencies but monitoring is available to anyone. There are digital ham radios but I do not know of any that will successfully track the two systems that you are wanting to monitor. MCSO is using their new P25 Phase 2 system which requires a phase 2 capable scanner. Queen Creek Fire uses the Mesa Topaz system P25 Phase 1 (Mesa Simulcast) and they do have their own talkgroup but not sure as to what all they use if for as I hear most of their traffic on the C-Deck channels. They had a MVA this morning working on C-Deck 2. I use a Uniden BCD325p2 handheld scanner that tracks both of these systems pretty well, however there are other options with Uniden, Whistler, and Unication models. Both the MCSO and Mesa Topaz systems are listed in the Database on this site, I would recommend a premium membership and programming whatever scanner you choose with software so you can import the systems directly into the software for best results.

dudmleh522

Welcome to the world of radio monitoring. To answer your questions yes you do need a license to transmit on ham/amateur frequencies but monitoring is available to anyone. There are digital ham radios but I do not know of any that will successfully track the two systems that you are wanting to monitor. MCSO is using their new P25 Phase 2 system which requires a phase 2 capable scanner. Queen Creek Fire uses the Mesa Topaz system P25 Phase 1 (Mesa Simulcast) and they do have their own talkgroup but not sure as to what all they use if for as I hear most of their traffic on the C-Deck channels. They had a MVA this morning working on C-Deck 2. I use a Uniden BCD325p2 handheld scanner that tracks both of these systems pretty well, however there are other options with Uniden, Whistler, and Unication models. Both the MCSO and Mesa Topaz systems are listed in the Database on this site, I would recommend a premium membership and programming whatever scanner you choose with software so you can import the systems directly into the software for best results.
Thanks for your input. Well premium membership let me program my ham frequencies?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input. Well premium membership let me program my ham frequencies?

Premium Membership gives you access to the frequencies here:

and here

FYI,
Premium membership is not required to view the RR DB frequencies/talkgroups, It is required in order to get reports and to access and import data via 3rd party software. (Plus you see less adds)
If you can program manually or just have a few HAM frequencies to enter save a few bucks and type/enter the info yourself..

Welcome to the Forum! :)

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber

The Radio Reference database is a free service for anyone to use. The premium membership will allow you to directly import frequencies and system data directly into software to program a ham radio or scanner. Depending on what scanner you choose will depend on what software you will need/want. You can manually program the same information without the membership, however just makes it a little more time consuming and potentially error prone for trunked systems if you are unfamiliar with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.