Radio Go Case - Feburary 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Over the years, while involved in the radio scanning / amateur radio / ultralight DXing hobbies, I have used a number of different bags and cases for carrying my radios and associated bits and pieces. Some of these bags and cases have worked very well, others have not for various reasons.

I have again returned to my love of portable operation, this has meant finding a suitable carry case or bag for my radios to undertaken these activities in parks and other locations.

Based on my experience in the past, I decided to move away from a soft bag like I have used recently and started looking around for a hard case. This needed to be big enough to hold two scanners, aerials, chargers, cords, ear phones and a small notepad for logging purposes but I didn't want to go to a "Pelican" type case due to cost and sizing options.

Recently I was looking on Supercheap Autos website when I noticed they have this case "SCA Plastic Case - Ammunition Style" for $12.17. I liked the size of this and the only thing lacking was a way to keep my radios protected, I had an idea of a way to do this. On my home from work that night I called past my local store and had a look at this case, they only had one on the shelf. This was a good size and had enough space for my radios and accessories I had a number of cheap plastic storage containers at home already which I planned on using to keep my ear phones and cords organised. I also purchased some heavy duty red tape. Total cost was $15.

That night I spent a couple of hours out in the shed setting this up. The first step was to cut the foam sheeting I had in the shed to allow my radios to slide in and out, this is an idea in used in my original stealth ultralight DXing bag and in that case it worked very well. Next I mounted some bubble wrap to the sides, rear and bottom to protect the scanners. I then used some double sided tape to mount the foam to the case so that it will not move. I then spent some time sorting my various radio scanning accessories and setting up space in the case for them all. This is where the smaller plastic containers came in very handy.

Over all for less than $20 and a couple of hours of my time I have a case which provides a good level of protection to my radios.

Photos: Launceston Scanning Guy: Radio Go Case - February 2017

enine

My post was more about the tray, if you had a place close that sells those ammo boxes you could get the tray, it helps to keep cables and such separated.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Ammo cans are very handy indeed!

I've used soft padded photography bags in the past. Numerous sizes are available, and most are very configurable using Velcro divider partition sections.

pb_lonny

Stickers have started to arrive, I am putting them on the case as they arrive and will post new photos when I am done.

Rred

Problem with ammo cans in the post-9/11 world...they make people very nervous, and then people called in uniformed people, who are even more nervous, and then whatever happens, is inconvenient at best. Painting the cans dayglow orange or a similar "HEY, I'M BEING OBVIOUS HERE!" color helps to discourage all that.

Personally, I don't like plastic ammo-can-copies. They are never as strong, usually not waterproof, so good for organizing storage or tossing in the back of the car, but real metal ammo cans or real Pelikan cases are a whole other league. Samsonite and American Tourister 5" thick attache cases can be gotten for five dollars in US thrift shops, and with some foam added, they make very good equipment cases, fwiw.

But if a radio is going to be USED while in an ammo can or similar case, you need to be sure it can get enough air flow to remain cool while operating in there. A bigger case with "too much empty space" helps with that.

enine

I have finally gotten around to take some new photos of my "radio go case" with the stickers I was sent / purchased on it. I put a layer of clear contact over them to provide some protection.
Launceston Scanning Guy: Radio Go Case - February 2017

This blog is open to invited readers only
http://launcestonscanningguy.blogspot.com/

It doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request

Status
Not open for further replies.