Radio Go Case MK2 - Feburary 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

This is an update on a case I purchased last year which I have now made some improvements on, it is now my "daily carry" case.

I have again returned to my love of portable operation, this has meant finding a suitable carry case or bag for my radios to undertaken these activities in parks and other locations. Based on my experience in the past, I decided to move away from a soft bag like I have used recently and started looking around for a hard case.

This needed to be big enough to hold my Uniden UBCD396XT, aerials, chargers, programming cable and ear phones. The various cases and bags I have been used has served me well but I wanted something stronger and with better protection.

Jaycar sell a number of ABS cases, based on the size I needed I decided on this model "ABS Instrument Case with Purge Valve MPV1". I was lucky enough to get this on special for $31.95, saving $8 off the RRP. The foam that comes with them is not great so I removed this and instead installed a divider which is wrapped in bubble warp, providing a good level of protection to my UBCD396XT. I also installed some bubble wrap in the base and used double sided tape to secure the top lid foam.

The below photos show my final setup, this works well, provides great protection to my UBCD396XT and is still small enough to travel with me in my back pack and out and about.

20180224_142938_resized.jpg

20180224_142949_resized.jpg

20180224_142957_resized.jpg

20180224_143013_resized.jpg

N8IAA

It's Paul's obsession:lol:
What's yours?
Maybe he just likes having a variety of cases for different scanning situations.
Whatever, I enjoy seeing what his imagination comes up with. He certainly has given birth to how others can have a go bag.
Larry

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Maybe, but does he have to have so many of them?

R

If he wants to have a thousand of them then who are we (anyone) to say that's too many. His choice.

I do wish, though, that he would limit them to one thread instead of making a new thread about every little bag or box he makes - just make a thread called "pb_lonny's portable ops" or something and add to it whenever you make something new (similar to vehicle install/build threads). Less clutter and easier for people to see all of your ideas in one spot.

rustynswrail

If he wants to have a thousand of them then who are we (anyone) to say that's too many. His choice.

I do wish, though, that he would limit them to one thread instead of making a new thread about every little bag or box he makes - just make a thread called "pb_lonny's portable ops" or something and add to it whenever you make something new (similar to vehicle install/build threads). Less clutter and easier for people to see all of your ideas in one spot.

It was a joke Joyce! That is also a joke that older Australians will get.

R

pb_lonny

Ultralight DXing Custom Hard Case

Some people who have known me for a while sometimes call me “the bag / case man”. This all started in 2006 when I purchased my first “Pelican” brand case, this was a 1450 which I used to store my radio scanners. Over the years as I moved on to amateur radio and then photography my “problem” with bags / cases only got worse.

Since I have been recently lucky enough to have Gary DeBock send me another replacement 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, I have been looking for a way to carry this and my other ultralight related items. I have used a variety of bags and cases in the past.

A well known saying is “cables only come in two lengths, too long and too short”; I have found the same to be true with bags and cases, they are either too big or too small. In regards to my own experiences with finding a suitable bag or case for my PL-380 I have approached this from two different angles, either something small enough to just carry the PL-380 or something much larger which will carry this and also my accessories and bits and pieces. The first option fits in well with the “ultralight” part of the hobby but means carrying another case for my accessories. The second option of a larger case is much harder to carry; I have tried both and have not been 100% happy with either option.

Based on the issues with my last two 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, where the aerials have come off, damaging the radios, I started searching both online and locally for a suitable case. Yesterday I was out with work and on the way back to the office I called passed the reject shop at Legana. Here I found this case for $4, add in some foam and some cloth tape and I had all I needed to setup a suitable case.

Last night I had some spare time so I sat down and set up this case. I added some bubble wrap to the bottom of the case and then I cut the foam to the correct size for the case and then traced the rough shape of the 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380 and cut this out using my favourite knife. I took a little extra from around the side where the cable for the aerial connects to the PL-380 case.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380 plus log sheets and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my back pack. While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other storage need.

Photos: https://theultralightradiodxer.blogspot.com/2018/09/ultralight-dxing-custom-hard-case.html

pb_lonny

Ultralight DXing Radio Case MK2

Some people who have known me for a while sometimes call me “the bag / case man”. This all started in 2006 when I purchased my first “Pelican” brand case, this was a 1450 which I used to store my radio scanners. Over the years as I moved on to amateur radio and then photography my “problem” with bags / cases only got worse.

Since I have been recently lucky enough to have Gary DeBock send me another replacement 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, I have been looking for a way to carry this and my other ultralight related items. I have used a variety of bags and cases in the past with different levels of success.

A well known saying is “cables only come in two lengths, too long and too short”; I have found the same to be true with bags and cases, they are either too big or too small. In regards to my own experiences with finding a suitable bag or case for my PL-380 I have approached this from two different angles, either something small enough to just carry the PL-380 or something much larger which will carry this and also my accessories and bits and pieces. The first option fits in well with the “ultralight” part of the hobby but means carrying another case for my accessories. The second option of a larger case is much harder to carry; I have tried both and have not been 100% happy with either option. As my ultralight radio collection has grown recently, I needed to move up to a larger case which would fit more radios and the various bits and pieces I carry for them.

I founds this case at my local Bunnings for $14.95, I removed the foam section that comes with it and replaced this with some different foam which holds together better when it is cut to shape.
Tonight I had some spare time so I sat down and set up this case. I added some bubble wrap to the bottom of the case and then I cut the foam to the correct size for the case and then traced the rough shape of the 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380 and cut this out using my favourite knife. I took a little extra from around the side where the cable for the aerial connects to the PL-380 case.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, Teac PR130 and BigW branded AM/FM radio. I can also fit my log sheets, ear phones and spare batteries, everything I need for portable sessions.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other storage need.

Photos: https://theultralightradiodxer.blogspot.com/2018/11/ultralight-dxing-radio-case-mk2.html

rustynswrail

Paul,

Your posts are like a car accident. I just cannot not look!

Twelve years of bags and cases, there is a thesis in that somewhere.

R

pb_lonny

Thanks for the feedback, I have made a couple of small changes to this which I will publish shortly.

pb_lonny

Ultralight DXing Radio Case MK2

Update - 23/11/2018:
After using this case for a couple of weeks I came across a couple of areas I felt I could improve. One was added a way to make sure the case didn't come open by accident. The second was to add a shoulder strap to allow me to keep both hands free while walking, this was more important as I head to more remote locations and need to climb over rocks and so on.

To solve the first issue, I purchased a velcro strap for $2, I drilled a coupe of small holes in the back of the case to use a cable tie to keep it in place.

The second issue was solved by purchasing some eyelet bolts and attaching these to the side of the case. Using an old shoulder strap from a lunch bag and I can now carry this on my shoulder, leaving my hands free while walking.

Photos: https://theultralightradiodxer.blogspot.com/2018/11/ultralight-dxing-radio-case-mk2.html

N8IAA

Like the two straps you added. Last thing you want is for the case to accidentally open.

Bet you get stares though carrying the orange box over your shoulder:lol:

One thing I like about your obsession with your different set ups, is you do it on the cheap side. You're the Fugal Gourmet Scanner Dude!:lol:

Larry

pb_lonny

Like the two straps you added. Last thing you want is for the case to accidentally open.

Bet you get stares though carrying the orange box over your shoulder:lol:

One thing I like about your obsession with your different set ups, is you do it on the cheap side. You're the Fugal Gourmet Scanner Dude!:lol:

Larry

Yes, they make it work much better. I don't care too much about people looking at me, I am use to it.

I love doing things "on the cheap", I like to save money where I can :)

pb_lonny

Ultralight DXing Custom Hard Case MK3

I have been recently lucky enough to have Gary DeBock send me another replacement 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, I have been looking for a way to carry this and my other ultralight related items. I have used a variety of bags and cases in the past.

Based on the issues with my last two 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, where the aerials have come off, damaging the radios, I started searching both online and locally for a suitable case. Yesterday I was out doing some Christmas shopping when I called passed my local Super Cheap Auto. Here I found this case on special for $9, add in some foam, cardboard and some cloth tape and I had all I needed to setup a suitable case. I decided to replace my previous case as I found it was not working as well as I would have liked and as it didn’t keep the radio the right way up it added the risk of the aerial breaking off.

Last night I had some spare time so I sat down and set up this case. I cut two pieces of foam to support the side and aerial on top of the radio and added a piece of cardboard for the front and back to protect these, I then added some bubble wrap to the bottom to provide some protection to the bottom of the radio. I installed this in to the case and added a piece of foam in to the bottom of the case between the front of this and the side of the case to assist with holding this in place and also to help protect the other bits and pieces I have in the radio case.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380, Teac PR130 plus log sheets, pens, notes, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my back pack. While this case was designed for ultralight dxing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other storage need.

Photos can be seen here: https://theultralightradiodxer.blogspot.com/2018/12/ultralight-dxing-custom-hard-case-mk3.html

Status
Not open for further replies.