DSDPlus Radio ID logging in DSD+ FL 2.268

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
I am still a bit baffled at how DSD+ is logging Radio IDs (RIDs)

From what I can tell, the DSDPLUS.RADIOS file is not storing duplicate RIDs across TalkGroups.

For instance. When I look at a large local P25 system (in this case 46C Orange County, Florida)....

There is absolutely ZERO duplication in my .RADIOS file.... meaning that I can't "see" a radio that is affiliated with multiple TGs - meaning there is only a snapshot of "current" data and no way to see that RID XZYXXXX has affiliated with TGs W, X, Y, and Z.

is this a setting somewhere that I am missing? Or is this known/expected behavior of the .GROUPS file? Because (at least to me) -- It seems that once DSD+ "sees" radio XZYXXXX - it updates the .GROUPS file with the CURRENT hit... but removes any historical data...

Without this historical data, the snapshot is nice, but it doesn't seem to be much help giving me the data that I would like to see - what is important (again, to me) is being able to see that RID XZYXXXX has affiliated on TGs W, X, Y and Z --- as this gives an excellent indicator on who is using a TG (especially when it's ENC)

I have attached my current RID list to this post .....

/////break/////

I am also curious what all these affiliations on TG "-2" and "-1" are.... (see the attachment)

TIA

Doug

Attachments

• 46C RID LIST.txt
    909.1 KB · Views: 20

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Groups and Radios files are not log files, per se. They exist primarily to allow you to alias talkgroups and subscribers, as well as to assign listening priorities, and as such they store those parameters. They do provide some logging value in that they store the hits, as well as the last seen date and time stamps. The behavior of the Radios file is to do exactly what you're observing, which is to move the subscribers around in real time as they affiliate with different talkgroups. It was never intended to provide a running log of what talkgroups any particular subscriber has ever been associated with.

If you want to figure out what subscribers are on what talkgroups historically, you'll need proper logging for that. I find DSD+ to be inadequate for this purpose, as you're stuck with clunky text files as logs. Unitrunker excels at logging, especially the 2.1 branch, which stores all history at the site level in a binary log file, which in turn populates all of the history windows in the GUI. You can look at the history of one subscriber and see every talkgroup they've been affiliated with or keyed up on going back years. You can also run the Excavate command to create a log file for a specific system using a date range, which is easily imported into a spreadsheet, in particular if you export as tab separated values.

The bottom line is that if you're serious about tracking subscribers and talkgroup activity, you really need to be using Unitrunker, as it's basically the only software that was written with the original and foremost purpose being tracking and logging site activity, not decoding voice with "logging" as an afterthought.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
The bottom line is that if you're serious about tracking subscribers and talkgroup activity, you really need to be using Unitrunker, as it's basically the only software that was written with the original and foremost purpose being tracking and logging site activity, not decoding voice with "logging" as an afterthought.

this makes perfect sense to me.... thanks!

doug

Status
Not open for further replies.