Radio in Brasil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully someone who knows a bit about Brazil will stumble across this and help me out.

I see in a previous thread that monitoring PS stuff may be difficult due to encryption, but I’m curious about the radio landscape in Brazil as a whole. Are there still
SOME worthwhile monitorable things? Are there restrictive laws I should be aware of?

Are there allocated bands for things like CB, FRS, GMRS, etc for the general public to use as radio coms? If so what do they look like? Frequency ranges, wattage limitations, licensing privileges etc....

I married a Brazilian girl and I’ll likely be making some trips there going forward in life and I’m also a pretty big radio nerd. Info on google is nil, and my português is very basic for now.

Any informational nuggets will be appreciated.

LD723

Depends where you are. Where I went the military police in the area I was in at the time A few years ago were on tetra around like 380~390 mhz in the clear. I also saw a tetrapol frequency on uhf that was constantly transmitting but always sounded idle kind of like dmr idle sounds and was not frequently in use but tetrapol by default is encrypted. There was plenty of dmr and analog on vhf like airports and possibly other public safety agencies. The big major cities like Rio and São Paulo are encrypted for public safety and I believe they use P25 like here in the U.S but I am not familiar with those areas.

N1SAK

MR. PINK
Premium Subscriber
I have property in Santa Catarina and, before covid, I visited often. Married in. Little town, down south, looks like Hawaii with Portuguese. I only got my ham license two years ago and haven't been there since before I did. However, I have asked my friends there if anyone knows of anyone who's into radio and it's been "no's" all around. (Small town, everyone knows everyone.) Just some HT's used during off-roading, I presume it's FRS stuff. I would love to punch down there on HF someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.