• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Management 2 vs. CPS on IPSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA5YTH

We just deployed Radio Management 2 to our fleet of about 80 radios on an IPSC system. This is an upgrade from traditional CPS and USB cables. I was really excited thinking it would cut down on having to modify every single codeplug. But, after playing with it, it still looks like I have to.

In fact, I think it is going to take longer because I can't figure out how to copy and paste between configurations like you can between codeplugs in CPS. Right now, I'm a little frustrated.

Am I missing something? The only advantage for Radio Management for IPSC that I can see is you can program over the air (only for version 2 radios - which is only about 60% of my fleet).

Anyone using RM2 on something other than Capacity Plus that can give me some tips and tricks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Firebuff880

We just deployed Radio Management 2 to our fleet of about 80 radios on an IPSC system. This is an upgrade from traditional CPS and USB cables. I was really excited thinking it would cut down on having to modify every single codeplug. But, after playing with it, it still looks like I have to.

In fact, I think it is going to take longer because I can't figure out how to copy and paste between configurations like you can between codeplugs in CPS. Right now, I'm a little frustrated.

Am I missing something? The only advantage for Radio Management for IPSC that I can see is you can program over the air (only for version 2 radios - which is only about 60% of my fleet).

Anyone using RM2 on something other than Capacity Plus that can give me some tips and tricks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are in template mode, which is supposed to be simular to RM 1. Although there are many changes such as the code plug template is now stored as an SQL stream file inside the database.

Later you may want to experiment with the new "Configuration mode". But be very careful as once you go to this you can no longer use standalone CPS to change anything in your system.

Watch for next release sometime in January.

KA5YTH

Sounds like you are in template mode, which is supposed to be simular to RM 1. Although there are many changes such as the code plug template is now stored as an SQL stream file inside the database.

Later you may want to experiment with the new "Configuration mode". But be very careful as once you go to this you can no longer use standalone CPS to change anything in your system.

Watch for next release sometime in January.
I'm in configuration mode, but the only "sets" available so I don't have to copy and paste are voice announcements and capacity plus. If sets we available for everything, it would be amazing.

Firebuff880

I'm in configuration mode, but the only "sets" available so I don't have to copy and paste are voice announcements and capacity plus. If sets we available for everything, it would be amazing.

--- Probably will take a number of releases to get there. I think focus right now is Capacity Max.

Firebuff880

Sorry, I'm totally not up to date on this at all. Is this a new radio programming software system, maybe even one that handles multiple types of radios in one package?

Yes an No. M is moving towards using radio manager II as an eventual repack mentioned for CPS.

Although CPS may still be around for ones and twos. Once you do a system set with RM II you can not use CPS again.

KA5YTH

Sorry, I'm totally not up to date on this at all. Is this a new radio programming software system, maybe even one that handles multiple types of radios in one package?
Supposed to be able to use different "configurations" referencing the same "sets" across different model numbers. Sounds like an awesome idea, but doesn't quite live up to my wishes... Yet.

dkaskie

Feed Provider
I have been told that once a radio is programmed with radio management you can no longer program it directly with a cable any more. Is this true??

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
False. TT

(Well define "directly". You can no longer use CPS. You can still use every method available tot he radio like cable, bluetooth, wifi, and OTA. RM is for larger fleets where you want to see every detail with every radio in a large database. It also enables you to offload the physical touching of radios to less technical people. We use it for Cap Max and to do programming on fleets larger than 100 radios. Where one programmer guy can control 1-16 (or more, I forget) remote programmer devices.) TT

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know about MotoTRBO but with an APX and RM, you can use a cable and CPS, but then you need to read the radio back into RM afterwards to be able to write a job to it. If not, the RM job will fail with an error that the radio was programmed outside of RM.
But the APX radio is fully capable of being touched with CPS and a cable...it’s just not the best way as it takes it out of sync with the RM database.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I have not seen it mentioned but in order to assign a template to a specific radio, the target radio MUST have the same firmware version as your template. This is the problem when adding radios to your fleet over time. Motorola releases new firmware and the old templates will not work. You have to create a new template with the new firmware version.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
We were told in the Motorola Roadshow that even stand-alone CPS will be moving to the RM style of display. It was strongly recommended to learn it ASAP so that we were not left out in the cold. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.